Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
38ff

Privately Owned Apparatus in big parades?

7 posts in this topic

All,

I'm not sure if this is exactly the right section to post this question, but here goes.

Is privately owned apparatus (not owned/operated by a fire district or fire company) allowed to be in the "big" county parades or the Hudson Valley (Lake George) parades? Im not talking the town type Memorial Day/4th of July parades, but the big "competition" type parades. Im going to formally ask the respective organization's parade committiees, but does anyone know off hand? I dont want it to be judged or have any impact on parade scoring, just drive the truck and show off a unique piece of apparatus and some hard work in getting it all restored. Of course, wearing a full parade uniform, following all parade rules, etc etc etc.

Anyone know?

Thanks!

Edited by 38ff

I have 3 rigs and have been in many a parade. Never had a problem and always had a invite and never just showed up. What do you have?

I have seen private fire apparatus in parades before. I think the best answer you will get is if you contact the parade committee for the parade you are interested in.

Catskill Fire-Cats (SPAAMFAA) members have had their own division in the City of Middletown's annual inspection parade dating back to at least the early 90's, and possibly beyond. Of course, we were never judged in the past. This year was the first time there was ever a trophy for Best Appearing Antique, and it went to a department owned piece.

We have been invited to Port Jervis' parade for many years as well, but only recently have started to take them up on it. Not sure if we were judged there (in line) or not, but never heard anything afterward. Don't think we've ever been invited to the County parade.

Couple of our guys own a bunch of ex-Westchester rigs, and they have a funny habit of finding their way home for their respective towns' parades.

I own a 1954 Jeep/Howe "Fire Jeep" with 2 trailers, one a factory option 200 gallon water tank trailer, the other a supply hose reel/equipment trailer. Everyone in my dept is pretty stoked about it, and some have asked me to put it in the various parades we march in. With the town parade, thats not a problem at all, as it's a "fun" parade, and no parade judges/rules.

With the other parades we do, Ulster County and the Hudson Valley Parade in Lake George, those are all judged parades, and I dont know how it would go over. I dont want to have it judged or count in any of the points or anything like that, I just want to show off a unique piece of restored apparatus. I cant find anything in the rules about privately owned apparatus, I guess I'll have to make some phone calls.

With regards to the Catskill Fire-Cats (SPAAMFAA), I'd love to join, but with my schedule of the fire department, the fire district, and family stuff, I'm not able to put forth as much time as it involves to feel like I was a contributing memeber. I do go to the muster, and will see if I can bring it there next summer. It's too bad the big muster held at the Kensico Dam doesnt happen anymore, that was a great time.

I say go for it. If I had somewhere to put it, I'd buy one myself and restore it.

With regards to the Catskill Fire-Cats (SPAAMFAA), I'd love to join, but with my schedule of the fire department, the fire district, and family stuff, I'm not able to put forth as much time as it involves to feel like I was a contributing memeber.

Not a problem there. We've got a little over 100 members on the roster, and of those, I'd say there's only about 25-30.....maybe a little more....that I'd really consider to be "active".