Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FiftyOnePride

Revisions to NFPA 1971

8 posts in this topic

http://www.firerescue1.com/fire-products/Fire-Goggles/articles/746966-Firefighter-Face-Protection-Goggles-vs-Faceshields/

The link, which I received in one of my TSL emails talks about NFPA 1971, which is about to be revised. More specifically, what is going to be changed and added to the revision. One proposal for the committee to consider is to make goggles mandatory and face shields optional. If they go with goggles, how do they mandate helmets be sold? With them already integrated with the helmet, or separately, and how to suggest they be protected if integrated? Does eye protection have to be regulated in conjunction with the helmet or can it be separate?

The article raises these points and a few more..

What does everyone think?

I'm not trying to start one of those epic 'what color is better for a firetruck?' or 'traditional or salad bowl helmet?" threads, I think this is an important topic, as showcased in the Hartsdale cover photo display on emtbravo.com and the apparent ruckus that arose from that.

efdcapt115 likes this

IMO sell the helmet with a pair of approved safety glasses. If the FF doesn't put them on it's on them... Bourks are useless and big goggles and shields are cumbersome at best.

http://www.firerescue1.com/fire-products/Fire-Goggles/articles/746966-Firefighter-Face-Protection-Goggles-vs-Faceshields/

The link, which I received in one of my TSL emails talks about NFPA 1971, which is about to be revised. More specifically, what is going to be changed and added to the revision. One proposal for the committee to consider is to make goggles mandatory and face shields optional. If they go with goggles, how do they mandate helmets be sold? With them already integrated with the helmet, or separately, and how to suggest they be protected if integrated? Does eye protection have to be regulated in conjunction with the helmet or can it be separate?

The article raises these points and a few more..

What does everyone think?

I'm not trying to start one of those epic 'what color is better for a firetruck?' or 'traditional or salad bowl helmet?" threads, I think this is an important topic, as showcased in the Hartsdale cover photo display on emtbravo.com and the apparent ruckus that arose from that.

Anyone using helmets with the slide out shields? How well do they work?

Anyone using helmets with the slide out shields? How well do they work?

I am unsure of their performance, but someone told me that the defender visor for Cairns helmets will not slide over glasses. Not sure how reliable that is because I don't have direct knowledge - but others like them, say they provide better than bourkes at least...

efdcapt115 likes this

My department has every member use the ESS goggles. I am unsure of the model #. I personal am not a fan. Unless the weather is right, the goggles fog up quickly. Often times it would be more beneficial to just work (extrication, saws, etc) with your eyes closed since you can not see through the goggles anyways. At least with your eyes closed you do not have bulky goggles pressed against your face.

ESS is the best.... Go with glasses not goggles. Goggles suck, heck I won't even wear them when I ski... Glasses only.

These are what I wear... They'll stop a shotgun blast at 30ft. Interchangeable lenses help with weather conditions for extended operations.

ESS Safety Glasses

My department has every member use the ESS goggles. I am unsure of the model #. I personal am not a fan. Unless the weather is right, the goggles fog up quickly. Often times it would be more beneficial to just work (extrication, saws, etc) with your eyes closed since you can not see through the goggles anyways. At least with your eyes closed you do not have bulky goggles pressed against your face.

ESS is the best.... Go with glasses not goggles. Goggles suck, heck I won't even wear them when I ski... Glasses only.

These are what I wear... They'll stop a shotgun blast at 30ft. Interchangeable lenses help with weather conditions for extended operations.

ESS Safety Glasses

Thanks, I will spread the word around the house!

The Cairns Defender visor will not fit over all glasses. This depends on the eye glass frame and the wearer's face. The narrower the eye glass frames the better the chance that they will fit under the Visor.