Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xtreme

Helmets

11 posts in this topic

I was recently on a website that sold fire helmets and was wondering about seeral things. Why when looking throught the differet types and configuratons of helmets are some listed as OSHA and others listed as NFPA and whats the difference.

Some states such as NY do not follow NFPA guidlines and instead stick with OSHA guidlines. On leather helmets for instance the sam houston and new york are pretty much the same helments however the sam houston has an additional shell inside to make it NFPA approved. The New Yorker is only OSHA apporved and has only 1 shell. Hope that helps a bit.

I see so what you guys are saying is that if i were to purchase my own helmet it would be better to go with the NFPA approved one than the OSHA cause it would offer more protection oram i totally off track here.

Also, OSHA only requires you to have bourkes eye shield while NFPA requires more of a full face shield. I thought that this was the only main difference between the requirements, I was not aware of the two inner shells. Before you purchase anything, make sure your department will accept it. If the helmet you purchase meets of exceeds the departments requirements they have to accept it. However, if it does not meet your department requirements, the department does not have to accept them.

Meeting the NFPA requirements for eye protection will make it safer for you, but not having it is not a death sentence. FDNY uses bourkes eye shields on their helmets.

Edited by Patch6713
fireguy287 likes this

Before you go out and spend money on a helmet, make sure you get approval from a Chief officer to wear it.

Also, OSHA only requires you to have bourkes eye shield while NFPA requires more of a full face shield. I thought that this was the only main difference between the requirements, I was not aware of the two inner shells. Before you purchase anything, make sure your department will accept it. If the helmet you purchase meets of exceeds the departments requirements they have to accept it. However, if it does not meet your department requirements, the department does not have to accept them.

Meeting the NFPA requirements for eye protection will make it safer for you, but not having it is not a death sentence. FDNY uses bourkes eye shields on their helmets.

I do not believe the dept has to accept anything just because you bought it, that is a very broad statement to make.

Some departments only allow very specific gloves, helmets, boots, etc. Make sure its ok with them, that's the main thing. If you get hurt, you don't want to get stuck with the bill because you had the **B model instead of the **A model.

Some departments only allow very specific gloves, helmets, boots, etc. Make sure its ok with them, that's the main thing. If you get hurt, you don't want to get stuck with the bill because you had the **B model instead of the **A model.

I believe you are 100% right.... I know with my construction company, you may not be covered by the company's insurance if your using your personal power tools... ( when it comes to insurance company's, they only think bottom line, and if they can find a way to avoid paying they will take it. )I remember reading a monthly report ( from a NYS safety group ) were a carpenter was using his personal circular saw, which had the safety wedged open and it kicked back and cut the workers leg... The insurance company wanted records of the saw, and who the owner was, and they found out it did not belong to the company, they did not approve the payments

So make sure if your purchasing your own " anything ", your Department will accept it and you will be covered by the Dept.'s insurance if something goes wrong...

i believe that patch is correct. so please research your info before posting back knocking on someone else

Before you purchase anything, make sure your department will accept it. If the helmet you purchase meets of exceeds the departments requirements they have to accept it. However, if it does not meet your department requirements, the department does not have to accept them.

Both NYS PESH and Federal OSHA require employers (and VFD's are considered employers) to provide all protective equipment. They are under no obligation to allow gear you purcased to be used, even if it is better. This has been well established in Labor Law since the passage of the william stieger act (the original OSHA ACT).