Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fyrlt17

E-66 & E-70 White Plains

38 posts in this topic

Yes it is and I saw this with my own eyes, not my kind of workmenship and will never be part of anything that I am being trusted with. Tax dollars are hard earned !

When will these new rig's be put into service? Well over due, I like the look. They will match up well with 65 and 67. Good luck W.P.F.D B)

4/1 I just seen our new E-70 at W.P.F.D headquarters.

What engine do these freightliner chassis use? I don't see an issue maintaining custom chassis as long as the engine speced is the same as the one that the public works trucks use.

Very nice looking rig. Nice layout & use of compartment space. I agree, storage of 5" hose looks like it will be a problem. Good Luck White Plains. You will need it. Smeal is a piece of crap. Expect many problems & leaks with the rig.

crap eh? compared to what? arent the new fdny ladders smeals?

crap eh? compared to what? arent the new fdny ladders smeals?

No, the new FDNY ladders are being built by Ferrara. Just 'cause FDNY has them, doesn't mean they're good.

That said, I've never heard a fireman (from anywhere who spends a lot of time with their rig) have non-stop GLOWING reviews of it. I'm certain Seagrave totes the fact the NYC buys their engines and I'm certain that this has influenced the purchase of apparatus around the country. Well....I work in a company (like most in NYC) with a Seagrave and it's a piece of s#%t. It's several years from replacement and it has rust you can put your finger through. It rides like it has no suspension and it accelerates as if it has a lawn-mower engine. I've talked to guys who work in company's with Ferrara engines, they hate them too. You can't please anyone and no one builds a perfect rig.

99subi likes this

No, the new FDNY ladders are being built by Ferrara. Just 'cause FDNY has them, doesn't mean they're good.

The aerial ladder device and torque box are built all by Smeal for Ferrara in Smeal's Snyder, NE plant. Ferrara sends up their chassis from LA to Snyder, NE where the box, aerial device, pistons and guts are mounted onto the chassis then the truck is shipped back down to LA. However there have been some instances where Smeal has shipped the aerial parts to Ferrara and the mounting has been done in LA.

As was the case for Pierce in the early 90s before they began building their aerials. Originally they were built at the Smeal plant then Smeal had reps go up to Appleton and set up shop there so the aerials for Pierce were built in their own plant. If you look at a Smeal aerial and a Pierce aerial today, except for a few minor changes, they are practically identical. The patent numbers are also very close as well.

So yes, FDNY has a Smeal built aerial on the new trucks.

Bring back the good old days of Macks, ALFs, Wards, Maxims, Hahns & Crowns!