Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PFDRes47cue

Death of Georgian Luger

22 posts in this topic

I do not think it is appropriate for the pictures to be shown on news websites and on TV. I think it is quite disrespectful to Nodar Kumaritashvili. Part of respecting the dead is not allowing the press to see the dead. I just think it is sick that the press was able to get such graphic pictures of such a horrific accident that left a 21 y/o dead.

Edited by Chris192
Link to Video/Photos removed.

So you pasted a copy of the link on a public forum to stop people from watching it and seeing the pictures. That should help in your crusade.

Edited by lad12derff

So you pasted a copy of the link on a public forum to stop people from watching it and seeing the pictures. That should help in your crusade.

Beat me too it LAD12DERff!

Yes I understand that its a tradgedy and maybe it shouldn't be "overplayed" but this is not the only thing that has been shown where an athelete died during a sporting event. Years ago a boxer died after getting KOed by Ray Manccini and it was show over and over again.

But at the same time this does show the risks these athletes take and at the time when things were originally posted, he was not confiremed being deceased.

Ok agreed, so how about we refocus the discussion to the fact that if you looked at the picture, at least one of the responders is not wearing gloves and is covered in blood, and the inside tube of pocket mask pretty close to the mouthpiece looks pretty bloodied too. Have we learned nothing in years and years of responding?? Why take the risk??? Its not like there is a lack of medical education in Vancouver Cananda...

Yes this is a public forum. However the majority of the people on this site are in the emergency services and have seen scenes such as this. Secondly a lot less people visit this site then lets say Fox news or NBC. This site is not broadcasted on tv nor is it a very known site world wide. Not many people who are not in the emergency services and who are not members know of this site. With the exception of those who stay nonmembers and just check it for incident alerts. Thirdly, I'm not starting a crusade I simply posted an opinion. I know that while I spent all day at the Taconic crash, the most important thing I did was help people hold up sheets to block the media from seeing the dead adults and children while the ME examined and packaged the bodies. respecting the dead is a must. My point in posting was that there are so many people standing around in the photos...why did not a single person think of blocking his face or better yet holding a towel up or something?

Beat me too it LAD12DERff!

Yes I understand that its a tradgedy and maybe it shouldn't be "overplayed" but this is not the only thing that has been shown where an athelete died during a sporting event. Years ago a boxer died after getting KOed by Ray Manccini and it was show over and over again.

But at the same time this does show the risks these athletes take and at the time when things were originally posted, he was not confiremed being deceased.

What was posted before he was confirmed deceased????? When this newspaper posted this article, he was confirmed dead indeed. He was confirmed dead in the media well before his family in Georgia was contacted. Also, seeing a video of someone getting knocked out over and over is quite different then seeing pictures of a dead persons face or a picture of a EMS worker "working" the patient.

Also, seeing a video of someone getting knocked out over and over is quite different then seeing pictures of a dead persons face or a picture of a EMS worker "working" the patient.

So they should stop showing any and all video of the 9/11 attacks on the WTC for the same reason????

Everyone has the option to change the channel, turn the page, or close their eyes.

The Olympics are a public spectacle being viewed and broadcast around the world.

The accident on the Taconic was not.

So they should stop showing any and all video of the 9/11 attacks on the WTC for the same reason????

Everyone has the option to change the channel, turn the page, or close their eyes.

The Olympics are a public spectacle being viewed and broadcast around the world.

The accident on the Taconic was not.

Don't quote me on this but I believe for some length of time the Taconic ranked somewhere on world news topics. If your 21 year old child died....would you want pictures of him on tv? Close-ups of his blood covered face with an oral airway, or a close up of EMS doing mask to mouth CPR on him/her? I would hope not. Also yes the Olympics are broadcast around the world but the Luge trial runs that this young man died during, were not broadcasted around the world. The graphic pictures just seem unnecessary to the story. As far as having the option to change the channel or get off a website, etc of course they do! But as you know from posts on this site...people don't exercise that option. Almost every forum post has members who b**** and moan about it on it...should they just press that back button? Yes! but they don't. I'll be sure to carry a camera with me on all Cardiac Arrest calls and fatal accidents just so I can get some nice graphic pictures and post them all over the internet. Just kidding...that would be wrong. e.g on the Taconic someone who was on scene who was not a by-stander or an FD or EMS member took out his cell phone and started to take a picture of the youngest child. This person was immediately moved away and talked(or yelled) too. Why??? Because certain things are better kept out of the public.

Edited by PFDRes47cue

FYI....If you watched the Olympics tonight actually about 20 seconds ago...you heard Bob Costas say that they will not be showing the video any longer. I guess I'm not the only person who after stepping back and thinking thought that showing it was a problem.

What was posted before he was confirmed deceased????? When this newspaper posted this article, he was confirmed dead indeed. He was confirmed dead in the media well before his family in Georgia was contacted. Also, seeing a video of someone getting knocked out over and over is quite different then seeing pictures of a dead persons face or a picture of a EMS worker "working" the patient.

When the story broke it came over the AP wire and there was no notification he was deceased, only stated he was seriously injured and was being attended too. I receved the alert when it happened on my iPhone and the pictures were available, showing the same pictures as all the rest of the articles have now plus video of the accident, which was also being shown live locally (by my understanding) in Vancover. About 30 minutes later, AP came over again and stated he was pronounced dead, way after those initial pictures were taken.

Remember this is the Olympics, there are more news media there than you can shake a stick at and the news broke all at the same time. The coverage is unbeleivable at this event and everything is being shown live through various outlets, so we have to take that into consideration.

Also, I am assuming his father was in Vancover when the accident happened since his father is also president of Georgia's Luge federation, while his cousin is the Georgian olympic team's coach and is in Vancouver, so notification of the tradgedywas pretty quick.

I do not know is his father was there. I know that when they announced the tragedy, they did not name him because his family had not been notified. I believe that if his dad was there he would have been notified prior to the press release...who knows. Either way for some odd reason they have decided to not show it any more...must have been seen as inappropriate at by NBC.

Yes this is a public forum. However the majority of the people on this site are in the emergency services and have seen scenes such as this. Secondly a lot less people visit this site then lets say Fox news or NBC. This site is not broadcasted on tv nor is it a very known site world wide. Not many people who are not in the emergency services and who are not members know of this site. With the exception of those who stay nonmembers and just check it for incident alerts. Thirdly, I'm not starting a crusade I simply posted an opinion. I know that while I spent all day at the Taconic crash, the most important thing I did was help people hold up sheets to block the media from seeing the dead adults and children while the ME examined and packaged the bodies. respecting the dead is a must. My point in posting was that there are so many people standing around in the photos...why did not a single person think of blocking his face or better yet holding a towel up or something?

You see that through your whole rant and rave you have missed my point. My point was not to claim fame for all the dead people I have recovered from cars accidents or fires, it was to point out that you posted a link to the graphic pictures of the scene for others to watch. I did not go on the Internet to search out the pictures, as probably a lot of other members here who have seen it first hand and quite frankly could care less about seeing them. You made it easy though to click and open. Had you not pasted the link I would have taken you post more seriously. So as one of the top rated members on the forum say's QTIP.

helicopper likes this

Yeah, complaining about something being out there and then putting it out there yourself makes you part of the problem. Its not about how accessible the video is. Its that you're doing the very thing you're ranting against. As to the appropriateness of the video and photos, yes it is appropriate. When you benefit from public exposure then your victories, losses, and in this case his death are all fair game. This wasn't a private figure who died in an accident. What about the compilation "fail" videos and entire TV shows dedicated to accidents and injuries. Its all in the same vein of voyeuristic experiences.

helicopper likes this

You see that through your whole rant and rave you have missed my point. My point was not to claim fame for all the dead people I have recovered from cars accidents or fires, it was to point out that you posted a link to the graphic pictures of the scene for others to watch. I did not go on the Internet to search out the pictures, as probably a lot of other members here who have seen it first hand and quite frankly could care less about seeing them. You made it easy though to click and open. Had you not pasted the link I would have taken you post more seriously. So as one of the top rated members on the forum say's QTIP.

MY reasoning was simple. If you post something have the evidence. It will then appeal to more people. Maybe some people did not know what I was referring to...through the link they can find out and decide their own opinion. So maybe you did not understand my reason for having the link. Also to a lot of people on this site the pictures would not even begin to effect them nor would they care so it does not matter if there is the link.

Edited by PFDRes47cue

Also, I am assuming his father was in Vancover when the accident happened since his father is also president of Georgia's Luge federation, while his cousin is the Georgian olympic team's coach and is in Vancouver, so notification of the tradgedywas pretty quick.

They showed an interview with his father who was still in tehir hometown in Georgia. He did mention that he was upset about the video and did not want to see it.

Edited by dmc2007

They showed an interview with his father who was still in tehir hometown in Georgia. He did mention that he was upset about the video and did not want to see it.

Thanks dmc, I wasn't sure if he was there or not. I knew his cousin was the coach though.

MY reasoning was simple. If you post something have the evidence. It will then appeal to more people. Maybe some people did not know what I was referring to...through the link they can find out and decide their own opinion. So maybe you did not understand my reason for having the link. Also to a lot of people on this site the pictures would not even begin to effect them nor would they care so it does not matter if there is the link.

Basically, you looked for it, watched it and then decided all by yourself that nobody else should. When you get a chance, let me know what I shouldn't be allowed to see tomorrow.

NurseMedic likes this

Basically, you looked for it, watched it and then decided all by yourself that nobody else should. When you get a chance, let me know what I shouldn't be allowed to see tomorrow.

Perhaps pictures of your 21 year old son/daughter getting worked by EMS workers? I'm sure no one wants to watch that or have others watch it right? but maybe you do...

Edited by PFDRes47cue

It seems to me like Chris192 is choosing what people can and can not watch. I did not tell anyone what they can and can not watch. I just posted a link to something that I did not think should be shown publicly which allowed people who WANT to to watch it and then form their own opinion. Is removing a link by any chances deciding what people can and can not watch?

Does anyone want to take a stab at why my O/P was edited and the link was removed by someone other than myself? I bet I know...

It seems to me like Chris192 is choosing what people can and can not watch. I did not tell anyone what they can and can not watch. I just posted a link to something that I did not think should be shown publicly which allowed people who WANT to to watch it and then form their own opinion. Is removing a link by any chances deciding what people can and can not watch?

Does anyone want to take a stab at why my O/P was edited and the link was removed by someone other than myself? I bet I know...

If you have a problem with something being done by a moderator, you handle it with that mod through e-mail or pm and not through the threads.

The topic is now closed.

No, it is not deciding what people can and can not watch. Members can choose to seek out the video and photos in question if they so desire but this forum does not have to be the conduit to what so many consider objectionable.

Based on complaints and feedback about the presence of the link it was removed. The sum and substance of your question was left for discussion.

As was said by another staff member, if you have an issue with the staff it is addressed through PM or e-mail and not in the forum itself.