Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IzzyEng4

Article about EMS/FD radio thief - please read!

7 posts in this topic

Though not a member here on EMTBravo, this kid has been arrested for stealing radios and another equipment and then selling them. It seems like most of his stealing took place in Long Island and possibly around Brooklyn and Queens. This was a hot topic on NassauFDRant, QRZ Forums (HAM) and RadioReference.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/cops_nerd_stole_emergency_radios_qoGnN9kqM6WtE1HSlLfPIM

This kid is a licensed HAM operator and was actively selling radios through EBAY and other forums. If you have purchased an item from this person, I highly suggest getting in contact with the police agency that is handling the investigation to protect yourself.

Izzy

This sounds a LOT like a kid that used to run around northern Westchester and got kicked out of half the EMS/FD agencies in Northern Westchester and Putnam. I'm sure several people on here know who I'm talking about.

This sounds a LOT like a kid that used to run around northern Westchester and got kicked out of half the EMS/FD agencies in Northern Westchester and Putnam. I'm sure several people on here know who I'm talking about.

I hear yah. Seems to be too many of these running around lately, regardless of their age. Wanted to put this out there as a CYA / FYI.

7586 he was using is HAM call sign on those sites. I am not going to post it here but people just have to look up his stuff and his screen name on the recent posts on EBAY, RR and QRZ by going through the FCC datebase to get his call sign. I don't feel the need to have it posted here since the article has his name listed and was caught red-handed. Also I do hope his license is pulled by the gov when there is a conviction as he has given a bad name to emergency responders and HAMs everywhere.

Also in regards to WAS's post, a while back there was a person that was in a similar situation as he described here. There is no need to list that screen name here as I believe he was suspended or banned after actions taken on this site, that I will have to look it up.

A FRIENDLY REMINDER FOR EVERYONE:

When posting something here for sale, for trade or wanting to buy, members need to use your head, this is not a site intended for making it your own shop. Be smart when you list items for sale, especially two-way radios. I know since we are in emergency services and some of us are licensed HAMs we want to give members here the first opportunity for a purchase, but you need to be smart when listed HAM and professional equipment. Don't make yourself a target by listing a plethora of items that can be deemed questionable in how you obtained them. IF you have a lot of items for sale such as radios you need to make sure where you obtain them from and have a "paper trail" of the original purchases. A good example of checking things is what 7586 stated in his above post as he checks with Motorola on the S/Ns for red-flags, this is a good practice for a seller but sometime you need to go further than that since the S/N might not be reported as stolen. As a seller or a buyer, you need to protect yourself like you would do with any other purchase.

If you are not sure where an item came from and its suspicious, then simply don't buy it. And if you are selling, make sure you can back up he purchase trail of the item.

Don't make yourself or become a target, be smart. There are a lot of charlatans out there like this kid was.

And, as a reminder, EMTBravo's Buy/Sell/Trade section isn't to be used as anyone's personal storefront. If you wish to advertise a legit business or service on EMTBravo, then contact me. Anyone deemed to be abusing the B/S/T section (i.e. frequently listing multiple items) will be banned from using that forum.

This is the same person that caused fordyce.org to shut down. He caused a lot of problems on there and used to claim he was with SCPD and apparently hes been doing more than stealing radios. From what others have said he's been jamming public safety frequencies, setting off pagers, sirens, opening building doors at vac's and fd's and activating traffic signals. Hopefully the courts don't just give him a slap on the wrist.

This is the same person that caused fordyce.org to shut down. He caused a lot of problems on there and used to claim he was with SCPD and apparently hes been doing more than stealing radios. From what others have said he's been jamming public safety frequencies, setting off pagers, sirens, opening building doors at vac's and fd's and activating traffic signals. Hopefully the courts don't just give him a slap on the wrist.

Wow, Ballsy!