Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
61MACKBR1

1974 Yonkers Fire Department Study

2 posts in this topic

Here is a link to the 1974 Yonkers Fire Department Study conducted by New York City Rand Institute. Chief James Ryan (to whom I had the pleasure of being extended an invitation to meet and speak with him, in his office, back in 1974, while I was in College).

http://www.litagion.org/pubs/reports/2006/R1566.2.pdf

It is very interesting to read about some of the recommendations that were proposed, some realized (New Station 8) and some that were not (New Station 10). It is also interested in seeing how the Budgetary Cuts made to the Fire Department back in 1976 (Ellimination of Rescue 1, Engine 1, Engine 2, Truck 3, and Truck 7) against the recommendatons outlined in this study, and now, 36 years later, seeing what is in place today, and now looking ahead to what is needed in the future (given both the Ridge Hill Project and the proposed New Downtown Development Project).

I would be interested in hearing back from those Fire Service Professionals (ie: Chief Fitzpatrick, Chief Flynn, Captain Bnechis, etc, etc) here on EMTBravo.net, getting their insights into what they have to say on the 1974 Report against what is current/future, some 36 Years later.

Any and all comments from ALL here on EMTBravo would be appreciated and interesting.

Basically, from what I'm seeing, Yonkers FD has been working and fighting hard to keep what they have and aggresively go after grants and whatever funding they can to improve service.

Meanwhile, the City Of Yonkers is looking for ways to take a way a lot of provisisons in the YFD contract and is threatening layoffs, despite him (mayor)contradicting himself by saying all these developments in this economy will bring in revenue instantly...supposedly.

I would say the current City plan would be to stretch the FD as thin as they can. If they were fully invested and believed in Ridge Hill, they would have already planned and funded a station there as a condition of the development.

As far as downtown development, how succesful is that going to be if the City Of Yonkers is cutting PD funding? Crime and gang violence is spiking in Yonkers, and who's going to what to visit downtown...especially if the criminals know they can prey on out of towners?

It seems like 36 years later, YFD goes through cycles with the economy and the City is always crying poor despite some prosperity in the past 10 years.

These two major developments, and a new large pediatric hospital, yet no more firefighters or fire companies- or PD precincts. The City is skating on thin ice, but Yonkers FD continues to fight to be the best despite these politcal obstacles.

Just my opinion.