Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efdcapt115

"Happy Land" 20 YRS AGO

5 posts in this topic

Weren't we all so horrified.....

post-1020-126951576682.jpg

At the time, the 87 souls who perished in the Happy Land Social Club fire held the record for a mass murder in the U.S. Though far eclipsed by 9/11, the fire still holds wrenching memories 20 years later

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/03/25/2010-03-25_jealous_exboyfriends_fury_killed_87_in_happy_land_fire_20_years_ago.html

I was a kid when this happened and I still remember it so clearly. A gallon of gas and a jealous ex-boyfriend. I few years back I met one of the responding firefighters and one of the things that haunted him was how many literally died in their seats.

As an officer who worker the aftermath of the fire I can personally say that witnessing the effects on family and friends left behind was something etched in my mind forever. Working the morgue sector and subsequent identification unit set up in the public school across the street was something that became surreal. To see mothers, fathers, sisters and brothers looking at pictures of the deceased and then stopping at one and collapsing in total devastation was heart wrenching. Then followed the mass funeral details where groups of 8 -10 - 12 would be waked together. The crowds that streamed in were massive. Funerals/wake details had a supervisor, 2 BLS units, an ALS unit, a MERV, an SOD unit and staffing. May they rest in peace and may Julio Gonzalez rot in jail. The true crime - he is parole eligible in March 2015!!

efdcapt115 likes this

The true crime - he is parole eligible in March 2015!!

How the hell he got away serving his sentences concurrently is beyond me. It was a slam dunk case that any jury would have convicted. I get that a deal is always preferred, but 87 lives and dozens of destroyed families certainly deserves more. Hopefully things like depraved indifference toward human life will keep him under lock and key.

20 years ago already?? I remember the day it happened, very sad day.