Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dadbo46

D.C. Metro to use rail carts for emergency response

9 posts in this topic

D.C. Metro to use rail carts for emergency response

The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (Metro) will use Mobile Emergency Response Vehicles (MERV), new motorized emergency vehicles to help agency and emergency services personnel respond to the scene of an emergency in the Metrorail system quickly and efficiently.

http://www.metro-magazine.com/News/Story/2010/03/D-C-Metro-to-use-rail-carts-for-emergency-response.aspx

Very cool. FDNY just upgraded to push carts. Looks like we're a little behind on this one.

Very cool. FDNY just upgraded to push carts. Looks like we're a little behind on this one.

Yeah and ours are stored in quarters. So the scenario is get the run put the thing on the rig. Drive to the scene. Walk down the 120' circular staircase emergency exit with the cart. Put it together. Roll it to the scene.

I like their method of storing the thing along the system so it's already down there for us.

FDNY had the power units that can pull the push carts for over 1 year.

News to me. At the last subway MCI drill guys were hauling the patients and equipment my hand. Maybe it arrived after I left.

Did they give you any info as to how they intend to get that onto the tracks? Even in stations with elevator access to the platform you still have to get 4 feet down to the tracks. There are only a few street level access points that I know of, and they're all in outlying portions of the system.

Herniated discs and torn ligaments is how. Same plan for the pushcarts.

Did they give you any info as to how they intend to get that onto the tracks? Even in stations with elevator access to the platform you still have to get 4 feet down to the tracks. There are only a few street level access points that I know of, and they're all in outlying portions of the system.

This is a good question.

My company received a push cart a few months ago. It's not the MOST well thought out thing that I've seen, but it's still pretty straight forward. It has straps, we strap it to the back of the rig and go. It's not so heavy as to be a problem getting it down station stairs with the included dolly. We tried it. It fits together with east and the brake is simple enough. I believe that you can connect several of these to the motorized carts that are manned by S.O.C.

How and when we'd know to bring it is still a mystery, but we'll see! If we're out of quarters, than we're of the game, but plenty of engines have them, someone else will come.