Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dmccabe

Norwalk FD new tower ladder

7 posts in this topic

Norwalk has just taken delivery of an 05 Sutphen tower on a Spartan chassis. I saw the rig this morning for the first time and it is pretty nice. Not sure when it will be in service. It is going to be designated as Truck Co. 2.

Can we get some pics? Would like to see it

msm232 submitted several photos of Norwalk's new Tower Ladder today. They are tentatively scheduled to be posted during tommorow's update.

We always welcome more photos of Norwalk and area (Stamford, Greenwich, etc) apparatus.

The photos are now posted.

The truck looks really nice....having a Sutphen TL on a Spartan chasis is really unique. I'm not sure I've seen a Sutphen TL on anything but a Sutphen. Norwalk loves the Spartan chasis, I think almost every first line in their fleet is now on a Spartan.

I like the colors of the truck too, Norwalk's scheme is really nice even if it isn't red. However, they also really love those aerodynic lightbars...suprised they don't wan't an LED bar. But those Aerodynics are pretty bright.

The truck also looks to have both a traditional and an electronic Q, that should be interesting.

You are right. It is the first time that Sutphen has ever mounted one of there TL'son chsis other than there own. We have had good luck with the Spartan chassis, and the mechanics find it much easier to have all the same rigs, inventory wise. When Truck 2 goes in service, every engine and truck co. in the city will be on a Spartan chassis. As for the light bars, we have a LED bar on the Rescue. I personally like the aerodynic lightbars, it gives the classic look.

Actually Sutphen has built a few towers on International Chassis' and in the early days (late 60's and 70's) Sutphen built towers on Ford, GMC, and International Chassis.