oc344

Chemical Suicide CME

6 posts in this topic

NDP EMS

&

NEW YORK STATE OFFICE of FIRE PREVENTION and CONTROL

PRESENTS

CHEMICAL SUICIDE

The Office of Fire Prevention and Control has recently assisted local authorities in two communities with suicides involving chemicals. The process involves mixing common household chemicals to create hydrogen sulfide in a small space. Instructions to do this are readily available on the internet and most encourage anyone planning to use this method to provide appropriate warnings to people who might encounter or respond to their situation about the presence of the deadly gas. Our concern is that anyone who enters the space without proper protections may quickly become a victim themselves. Both recent incidents in New York involved suicides inside a vehicle. One vehicle had very clear and obvious warning signs taped to the window, the other had signs that were less noticeable laid on the dashboard. In both instances responders were able to recognize the situation and take appropriate protective actions.

When: Monday May 10th – 0900 hrs – Poughkeepsie

Monday May 10th – 1800 hrs – Wassaic

Tuesday May 11th – 0900 hrs – Poughkeepsie

Tuesday May 11th – 1800 hrs – Wassaic

Where: Poughkeepsie Fire Department

Public Safety Building

505 Main Street

Poughkeepsie, NY 12601

Wassaic Fire Department

25 Firehouse Rd

Wassaic, NY 12592

Call to register for one of these sessions.

REGISTRATION IS A MUST!

Each class is limited to 40 attendees.

Call 845-876-0338 x22

Approved by HVREMS Council for 3 hours CME’s

The purpose of this class is to raise awareness of first responders (police, fire and EMS agencies) to this danger. Recognize the warning signs when approaching the scene. Know what resources are needed to keep you and your crew safe.

Just to make sure everyone is aware, you only have to attend one of the classes, i.e it is not required to attend both nights in Wassaic, thanks George for getting this information out

I am relatively unfamiliar with the EMS CME process and all that, but is this just for those in the medical side of things or is open to all who register? I think it is the latter, but I want to make sure before I attempt to register. Thanks!

I am relatively unfamiliar with the EMS CME process and all that, but is this just for those in the medical side of things or is open to all who register? I think it is the latter, but I want to make sure before I attempt to register. Thanks!

Josh it is open for those of us that are not EMS side, I signed up for the Tuesday class as they are not holding the EMT class in Wassaic on Monday so I figured those EMT's will most likely do the Monday class.

Josh it is open for those of us that are not EMS side, I signed up for the Tuesday class as they are not holding the EMT class in Wassaic on Monday so I figured those EMT's will most likely do the Monday class.

Great, thanks Mark!

Just to make sure everyone is aware, you only have to attend one of the classes, i.e it is not required to attend both nights in Wassaic, thanks George for getting this information out

No Problem...I hope we get a good turn out.

GL