Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
afd65

How does FDNY dispatch marine fires?

4 posts in this topic

How does FDNY dispatch for a boat fire? a marine unit and what else? a box is what?

It really depends on where the boat is, and what kind of boat. Please bear with me as I am doing this from memory. The nearest street box to the body of water is transmitted, with land units going to that location to see if they can see it. The Marine Company(ies) are started out to where the vessel is reported. You get a situation like you had last night, it could have been feasible for Marine 6 w/manpower assigned from quarters to head out.

It's pretty much, the nearest street box with a Rescue Company, Marine Unit, and a Tactical Support Unit, and I believe a Squad. If it is reported on a ferry or excursion boat, like the Circle Line, we send em 2 boats.

Each of the marine companies has a specific unit assigned for Manpower as needed.

The three major companies aren't fully staffed at all times? Also, what is the typical response time for the marine co's to a typical alarm?

They are fully staffed at all times with a pilot, a wiper(engineer) and two firefighters. If they need manpower for a fire, they wait till the engine company shows up and then they depart, or they meet units at a pre designated area and then get underway. Remember we only have 3 year round fireboats and two are over 40 years old, and not very fast. Depending on where the incident is, it can take anywhere from 20 to 90 minutes for a boat to get there.