Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy

electronics question

5 posts in this topic

Hoping someone can help me with this.

I recently found a cb/walkie talkie in my closet that I haven't used in many years. I thought that I might try to sell it but when I opened it up it unfortunately still had AA batteries in it that obviously had leaked.

Once the batteries have leaked into the compartment, does that mean the radio is ruined or can it be cleaned out? If so, how do I clean it? There is hard, encrusted residue all over the battery connections.

Thanks in advance......

Bill

Edited by Billy

I doubt the batteries have actually leaked, they are sealed fairly well. The crust you see on the terminals is corrosion. Just take a flathead screwdriver and scrape it off, put new batteries in, and it should work.

Hoping someone can help me with this.

I recently found a cb/walkie talkie in my closet that I haven't used in many years. I thought that I might try to sell it but when I opened it up it unfortunately still had AA batteries in it that obviously had leaked.

Once the batteries have leaked into the compartment, does that mean the radio is ruined or can it be cleaned out? If so, how do I clean it? There is hard, encrusted residue all over the battery connections.

Thanks in advance......

Bill

You might try using a piece of emery sandpaper if you don't achieve the desired results using the flat head screw driver. Also if your sure the batteries did in fact leak, check to make sure that none of the battery acid came into contact with the power supply wiring as if the corosion ate away any of the insulation on the wires, you want to make sure that they either replaced or wrapped in electrical tape so you do not create a short circuit in the power supply which could damage your radio.

Good Luck!

x635 likes this

I agree about using some emery cloth but first I would mix up some baking soda with some water (1Tbsp Baking soda & 1/4 cup water) to stop the chemical reaction of the batteries (which seem to have reacted with the dissimilar metal of the radio) use a Q-tip to swab over the corrosion, making sure you hit anything that looks corroded. Once that is done, do the same again with clean water. Dry off as best as possible and let the rest air dry. Once it's all dry, take some VERY FINE emery (180 - 220 grit) and clean the terminals off.

If the corrosion was not too bad once you pop some new batteries in, you should be good. The only problem would be if some of the corrosion from the batteries leaked into the unit itself and go on one of the boards.

Hope it works!

John

x635 likes this

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I let you know how it goes.

Thanks again! I knew someone for EMT would know how to handle it!!!

x635 likes this