Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New Putnam 911 Center

24 posts in this topic

I have been listening to the radio traffic on the putnam county 9-1-1 fire/ems dispatch channels, and am quite impressed. The group of dispatchers that I have heard so far have sounded very professional and experienced. Does anyone else have any other impressions on how the 9-1-1 center compares (in the 5 days of operation) with the old PC sheriffs office?

To be honest yeah some of the old dispatchers that moved over from the pcso are doing a great job. The new ones however need more expeirence and also there has been instances there when a call is recieved by them from another agency and it takes a few minutes to be dispatched but this is all stuff that expeirence will solve and its really hard to remember to say putnam 911 this is 19-?-? istead of 40 control this is 19-?-?

From what i have heard the past couple of days, putnam 911 has been very active with multiple calls... yeah they are doing a good job being new and all but they still need expeirence... when the county is quite or one department is operating a call, you can get through very easily, but when they have multiple calls operating, it takes along time to get through to them... but as they say "practice makes perfect- or close to it"

I get to deal with Putnam 911 on many different levels, and I feel they are all doing a good job. There have been a few hiccups but that is expected. Yeah it has been busy the last few days, and I dont think they skipped a beat.

As far as a delay in dispatching after recieving a call from another agency, this has been going on since the " 40 Control" days, I dont know why it happens but it does. I have heard a police agency send a police unit for an EMS or Fire call, and notify dispatch. They advise the responding police unit that dispatch was notified, at some times I have seen 5 minutes go by before the dispatch is made. I havent seen this happen recently. and like I said I think all the dispatchers are doing a good job so far, I hope this dosent go to there heads...lol...

Don't think it'll "go to our heads" but we do appreciate your vocal support, encouragement and (when needed) patience when we're not "perfect." Not always fair to speak for others but in this case I'm confident that all of us at Putnam 911 - old and new alike - are working hard to do our best for the people of Putnam County and those of you responding when the tones go off. (HICCUP ... :-) Be safe on the job.

I like your signature, Homer: "Stay safe ... stay calm ... learn from your mistakes." My guess (hope) is that all of us are interested in just those things. Can't say much about FDNY but as a 20 year first responder in Dutchess County, I can tell you most of us "up north" of the County line sure appreciate the dispatchers at 348 Creek Road - bigtime. I'm sure all of us at Putnam 911 will keep workin' at gettin' better, too. Thanks for the reminder that there's never a reason to be seen (heard) as unprofessional. Hopin' you hit what you shoot for:)

Oh believe me, we do give attitude. Especially when someone out in the field is being a prick. But there is a way to go about it. It;s the honey/vinegar thing. There is a way to verbally spank someone on the air as so not to embarass them, it's little subtle things. It will take time for these guys to get in the groove and used to new surroundings. Support them and they will do the right thing by those in the field.

Well Homer J I guess you have never really listened to fire/ems frequencies, or the Sheriffs frequencies, in Putnam because there are some nights when there is nothing but attitude on the radio, and I am not talking about the new dispatchers. This is Deputies ( not all but a few) talking to other Deputies or Officers...

There is no place for attitude on the radio. We're all professionals, whether it be the staff on a responding unit or the staff in the call/dispatch center; giving an obvious attitude is unprofessional and actually detracts from the job. Like JBE said, if someone in the field is being a pain in the a$$ and you need to get your point across, by all means, do it; however, do it in a manner that doesn't embarrass the person who you're talking to and that doesn't make you look like an a$$ yourself.

As for unanswered radio traffic, Homer J is right: there is no reason for it. However, in times when there are multiple calls going off and many units talking either to each other or the dispatch center, it is easy for the dispatcher to lose track of a calling unit. For instance, I'm an EMT in Monmouth County, NJ. Last Friday, there was an explosion in Eatontown (that my department was subsequently called to), and in the first half-hour of the situation, my department got hit out for a call. There was a bit of a delay in response when we called in service, arriving on location, and en route to the hospital, basically because everyone and their brother was on the radio at the explosion. I anticipated the delay and I cut County Communications some slack because I knew it was a pretty manpower-intense situation. On the other side of the coin, however, in times when there is barely any radio traffic, there is no reason for a radio transmission to go unanswered. In times like that, see above regarding tactful ways of getting your point across 8)

It sounds great! Keep up the good work. It takes a little to get used to.

All those involved need to remember the folks at the 911 Center are from the field as well.

Homer J get your facts right before making a comment. that day you are speaking of regarding the attitude and no answer, there were 2 in the room in a snow storm, it was very busy and the attitude did not come from putnam 911, it came from "control"-they are the ones that told that trooper "if you want putnam 911 to answer you you are going to have to call them putnam 911"

oh, and thank you to all those nice comments out there-we are working hard and will continue to do so

You tell them Sandy, You guys are doing a great job and are going to get better as time goes on. The fires were put out, the ambulance calls were answered and nobody got hurt, thats what matters. If a I am not mistaking a dispatcher or two were credited for saving someones life last week. A person was choking and the dispatcher gave instructions and saved a life. Enough said!!

Good Luck to Ed, Sandy and everbody.

17-9-6 to PUTNAM 911 were back in service!!

Yes, I do know that there needs to be adequate staffing-especially in a month when the cell 911 comes in-I believe (hope) that they are currently working on that. You've got the connections-make some calls :-)

Thank you for the compliment-that means alot.

Regarding the attitude-yes, I know he did not ID himself (intentionally???) this is why I set the record straight.

There are 5 of us that have been here since 01/03/05 and have had alot of training. We've been to TMW in Hawthorne, Dutchess 911, Westchester 911 Kent Police, CSFD, BFD, PVAC we've have many different speakers in here. All 8 full-timers have had EMD and APCO training, and three part-timers also have had APCO training.

Nancy-Wow-you're dating yourself!

Good to see you Sandy!!!! Keep up the good work!!!!

OH YEAH! Had to walk the print-outs to the trainng room-which is now BCI at the end of each shift! That big old computer with the green writing and the ancient printer that always went down! And the NYSPIN computer looked just like it too.

Thanks JBE

The new 911 is center is doing okay. Nothing great but not bad! Yes they need more then 2 people in the room at a time and that was discussed at the communications class this weekend 3/13. The new dispatchers need to step it up a bit. I called for times on a ambulance call the other day and was on hold for 5 minutes. Then the man that picks up the phone says, "sorry the other person forgot about you." ---Well im glad my call was that important (And it wasn't like it was busy so no one reply and try to use that as a excuse.) [-X Im not complaining just saying some things need to be worked out. Give it a few months and everyone will be doing fine. 8) =D>

five minutes...considering its a new system, I guess it could be worse. I nearly 4 minutes on hold the other day at an accident in Mt. Pleasant becuase I couldn't remember PD's number and had to go through 911.

Yeah, I've called 911 and had to wait about 10 rings before the PD answered. Don't feel alone in your boat. Maybe Putnam can setup an online cadtimes system like Westchester has. I can't remember the last time I actually called 60 control for times. Now if only the times were accurate, we'd be in good shape.

Well as anyone can see--there have been both positive and negative feedback left here-mostly positive. I don't want to repeat others but if I do --I am sorry

I do believe they will have online times or something along those lines as soon as the power above choose a software vendor to partner with the CAD. I believe Firehouse is what was purchased with the CAD but currently the County departments use RED Alert (which is far superior). Once the choice is made then we can get the times as well as other info sent to each dept (as we were told anyway). As far as a status check--overall things seem to be going fairly smooth. There are a few things that I have noticed that can be tweeked. The transfer's--you have the benefit of knowing how things work in the county--pass it on--please. We do have 4 ambulance corps in the county that are totally separate--meaning separate tones and sometimes frequencies. Mistakes happen--when you are informed one has been made--notify the responders asap so your phones(and ours) don't ring off the hook.

You really should have more staffing up there aso. What happened to not being a police dispatch? Hopefully this will change when all the equipment is changed over?? And finally-to repeat an earlier comment--there is no reason for being ignored--and yes I was ignored--maybe even forgotten until I called on the phone(since ch.5, ch.1 and highband didn't work)there really is no excuse--especially in our line of work. If 60 control can hear their units calling in with all the other BS radio traffic (all on 1 freq) in Westchester--Putnam shouldn't be a problem. I don't hear Dutchess much so I cannot compare.

I hope this did not offend anyone--it was not meant to. I wish you all at the 9-1-1 center the best of luck--I have no doubt you will be one of the finest comm. centers in the state.

I had the pleasure of getting a tour on sunday 3/13 after a radio procedure class at the TOPS Building. It was good to see Sandy and a few other dispatchers at work.

While we were their, there happen to be a 911 call for a garbage can fire. The call was answered swiftly and professionally under alot of pressure. There had to be twenty or so people watching and listening in the room. I give them alot of credit and wish them alot of luck. That was my first encounter with the CAD system and Wheww!!! Better them then me.

Again Good Luck!!

I'm gonna be up in that neck of the woods today, visiting my mom. I may try to stop by and check out how things operate.

They better lock the doors, as a matter of fact we better change the locks at the firehouse...HA HA just kidding