Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bad box

GOP: U.S. can't afford to fund health 'entitlement program' for 9/11 rescue workers

17 posts in this topic

The Fed's can afford their own inflated salaries and benefits and can bail out banks and car manufacturers ... but they can't afford to care for first responders who have become sick due to their service at the 9/11 terrorist attacks on our country?

My link

The Dems and GOP are all the same...all scum...

I think this single article outweighs all the junk the Dem's have done to this country. Who cares about all the stupid day to day politics if we can't care for victims and hero's...this is very disappointing

The Dems and GOP are all the same...all scum...

I think this single article outweighs all the junk the Dem's have done to this country. Who cares about all the stupid day to day politics if we can't care for victims and hero's...this is very disappointing

Run for office, get elected and make a difference. Its really the only way your going to get some positive change.

To date, from a few enforcement perspective, or public safety in general for that matter, one of my biggest gripes with Republicans has been their anti-Union stances, but this reaches a new low. It's unconscionable.

How about the Fed said the air was safe to work in. It was not. They should be on the hook for all related healthcare expenses.

My link

This is an issue that needs bipartisan support. I am amazed to see the GOP turning their backs on the first responders who stepped up and did the right thing when our nation was attacked in 2001. Members of the emergency services across the country should be all over their local elected officials to demand their support for this bill. Remember, terrorism appears to be here to stay. Any law enforcement, E.M.S. or Fire Department (no matter how large or small)can be confronted by an attack ... we all need to know that we will be taken care of if we are seriously injured or become ill and are no longer able to perform our job as a result of such an event.

Edited by bad box

To date, from a few enforcement perspective, or public safety in general for that matter, one of my biggest gripes with Republicans has been their anti-Union stances, but this reaches a new low. It's unconscionable.

But lets be honest Unions are on the hook for a sizable portion of the economic disparity that municipalities, counties, and states are facing. If the republicans wont stand up to the unions who will. If you need examples just look at the situation with Westchester right now. That being said I agree that emergency services unions often get screwed. In this situation it is disgusting to deny the people who ran into risking everything simple care and compassion. This is not an area to be making cuts. However we must ensure that we regulate it well to make sure there is as little fraud as possible.

Edited by bfxfd

But lets be honest Unions are on the hook for a sizable portion of the economic disparity that municipalities, counties, and states are facing. If the republicans wont stand up to the unions who will. If you need examples just look at the situation with Westchester right now. That being said I agree that emergency services unions often get screwed. In this situation it is disgusting to deny the people who ran into risking everything simple care and compassion. This is not an area to be making cuts. However we must ensure that we regulate it well to make sure there is as little fraud as possible.

How is that unions are to blame? Unions lobby for their constituents the same way other groups/organizations do and they bargain for a contract that benefits their membership. Pensions are legislative in New York so the unions have little say in that. I will certainly concede that some contractual "benefits" in some public agencies are absurd - like staying out of work for two months for getting spit on (gee, I could have had about 2 years off during my career) - these are still negotiated or the result of arbitration (again a legislatively created phenomenon).

Pensions need to be funded and that requires local contributions. While the market was skyrocketing, locals didn't have to contribute to the funds and now they do.

Budget crises aren't the unions fault, it's elected officials' fault for spending more than we have or can reasonably provide.

How is that unions are to blame? Unions lobby for their constituents the same way other groups/organizations do and they bargain for a contract that benefits their membership. Pensions are legislative in New York so the unions have little say in that. I will certainly concede that some contractual "benefits" in some public agencies are absurd - like staying out of work for two months for getting spit on (gee, I could have had about 2 years off during my career) - these are still negotiated or the result of arbitration (again a legislatively created phenomenon).

Pensions need to be funded and that requires local contributions. While the market was skyrocketing, locals didn't have to contribute to the funds and now they do.

Budget crises aren't the unions fault, it's elected officials' fault for spending more than we have or can reasonably provide.

unions were created because laws protecting workers didn't exist. they do now, therefore get rid of all unions...PD, FD, Teachers, and all others...get rid of them. you want to get benifits, higher wages, some extra vacation time...do what all other non-union Americans do: work hard and be a self advocate. Even unions that work for generally 'conservitive'workers (FD, PD, EMS, blue collared guys/gals) fund the Obama administration and therefore indirectly...so do the workers

.....do what all other non-union Americans do: work hard and be a self advocate.

Do tell me; once you do what you've said we should all do and your manager politely tells you no to your requests, whats your next step???

Do tell me; once you do what you've said we should all do and your manager politely tells you no to your requests, whats your next step???

you suck it up and try again in the future...just like everyne else.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have"

Thomas Jefferson

Now interchange the word government with the word Union and that is how Unions are today, which is not what they were intended to be.

We have laws to protect workers now...you don't like them or want better laws - change them.

You want a nice IRA, take a course to manage your IRA's, don't trust someone else to invest for you.

unions were created because laws protecting workers didn't exist. they do now, therefore get rid of all unions...PD, FD, Teachers, and all others...get rid of them. you want to get benifits, higher wages, some extra vacation time...do what all other non-union Americans do: work hard and be a self advocate. Even unions that work for generally 'conservitive'workers (FD, PD, EMS, blue collared guys/gals) fund the Obama administration and therefore indirectly...so do the workers

Too bad those of us in unions, (PD, PD, Teachers) don't work hard enough in your eyes. Thanks for your insightful comments and pointing out how lazy we are. :rolleyes:

SRS131EMTFF likes this

you suck it up and try again in the future...just like everyne else.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have"

Thomas Jefferson

Now interchange the word government with the word Union and that is how Unions are today, which is not what they were intended to be.

We have laws to protect workers now...you don't like them or want better laws - change them.

You want a nice IRA, take a course to manage your IRA's, don't trust someone else to invest for you.

Somehow I don't think most of the posters in here would tend to agree with you nor do I think you really have a clear understanding of what unions are and their function; if you did you'd most likely never have made your prior posting which in all honesty insults those in the public and private sectors who work hard for their money/employers.

Somehow I don't think most of the posters in here would tend to agree with you nor do I think you really have a clear understanding of what unions are and their function; if you did you'd most likely never have made your prior posting which in all honesty insults those in the public and private sectors who work hard for their money/employers.

In my opinion Emergency Services Unions are more honorable than others i.e CSEA, SEIU.. This is because emergency services are truly a brotherhood as demonstrated by several area fire depts. that took cuts in benefits and salaries allowing people to keep their jobs. That being said Unions have to be held responsible for their negative impact in certain areas. Just look at the ruling by the federal judge in favor of the unions that bared Governor Patterson from mandating unpaid furloughs. This would have allowed the sate to save hundreds of millions of dollars while keeping people employed. However instead of that the unions fought and won and the taxpayers lost. I agree Unions where formed to protect workers rights and there is a need for them in that capacity. However 100 percent funded health insurance is not a right nor is a 5 to 7 percent increase in pay year after year, this is the case with westchester county unionized employees. Unions are needed to protect not to bully the government into giving them what ever they like. ANd lets be honest what percentage of people actually believe that the union bosses actually care about them. Some of them are out to make more money for themselves than for you.

In my opinion Emergency Services Unions are more honorable than others i.e CSEA, SEIU.. This is because emergency services are truly a brotherhood as demonstrated by several area fire depts. that took cuts in benefits and salaries allowing people to keep their jobs. That being said Unions have to be held responsible for their negative impact in certain areas. Just look at the ruling by the federal judge in favor of the unions that bared Governor Patterson from mandating unpaid furloughs. This would have allowed the sate to save hundreds of millions of dollars while keeping people employed. However instead of that the unions fought and won and the taxpayers lost. I agree Unions where formed to protect workers rights and there is a need for them in that capacity. However 100 percent funded health insurance is not a right nor is a 5 to 7 percent increase in pay year after year, this is the case with westchester county unionized employees. Unions are needed to protect not to bully the government into giving them what ever they like. ANd lets be honest what percentage of people actually believe that the union bosses actually care about them. Some of them are out to make more money for themselves than for you.

I don't think any union is better then another; each serves its membership according to its mission statement and agenda. If you do some research, you'll find that many unions, both private and public sector have a history of making concessions, whether temporary or permanent to save jobs. The unions are run basically by the membership in most instances and the membership sets the agenda that the union follows.

In the instance of Governor Patterson mandating unpaid furloughs, the unions were right to challenge him in court; not just because they were legally right, but out of principal; you don't' change an agreement once its been negotiated unless both sides voluntarily agree to it. To do so under pressure from either side would violate the spirit of the contract and bargaining process. It would be the same thing if the bank, that has the mortgage on your house, decides that you should give them 2 extra payments per year or raise your interest rate a few points because they are in financial difficulties and might have to lay off employees. You have a signed contract that says otherwise. Would you be inclined to go along with the banks requests?? Most likely not I assume.

I agree that 100% paid insurance nor a 5-7% increase per year is a given right; however if the bargaining parties agree that it is what they are willing to pay, then a deal is a deal. Its not the unions fault the company/public agencies are incompetent and can't project revenue. Unions these days don't bully companies; they realize that for companies to survive they have to be realistic in their contract demands, otherwise it can have a negative impact on the employment of their members. The same goes for the public sector; unions in most cases realize that they have to make feasible proposals at the bargaining table, lest you chance having it end up in the hands of the arbitrators. In that case your rolling the dice.

I don't know what the percentages are (perhaps you can supply a link to your source?) but in my union if the rank and file don't think the President (or "union boss" in your lingo) is doing his job, then we vote him/her out of office and put someone in who'll do the job as the membership deems necessary. Its all a very democratic process with checks and balances. Union officials don't come close to making what Corporate executives are paid and most union leaders are responsible for the job security of hundreds of thousands of members.

I've read your postings in here on this thread and IMHO, and either you are not well versed in how unions operate or your an apologist for management. Make no bones about it; its tough times for union members and non-union members alike, just that we as union represented employees have an edge over our non-union counterparts because we bargain collectively. As one poster in here remarked to me earlier, we have to "suck it up and try again in the future"; well as union members with binding contracts, we don't have to suck it up and try again. The more people who realize that (are you listening TransCare workers?), the more working conditions will improve for all workers.

Edited by gamewell45

While I respect your opinion you are totally wrong. You can work hard all you want but if government or private business can get blood out of you they will hence why we have unions who fight constantly to see that laws are passed to protect workers.

The Fed's can afford their own inflated salaries and benefits and can bail out banks and car manufacturers ... but they can't afford to care for first responders who have become sick due to their service at the 9/11 terrorist attacks on our country?

My link

They seem to be able to afford healthcare for the millions of illegal immigrants in this country. Government at it's best.