Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FFBlaser

Opinions on Future

13 posts in this topic

I have come to somewhat of a debacle in my career in public safety...

I have two choices

1. Take the promotion as spokesperson for County OEM

2. Or take the Paid Lieutenant position for the County Fire

What do you guys think?

I have two choices

What do you guys think?

Which one pays more? Do they both have civil service protection? Are there opportunities for additional advancement from one or both of these positions? Are the schedules/working conditions comparable (vacations, shifts, etc.)?

Which one pays more? Do they both have civil service protection? Are there opportunities for additional advancement from one or both of these positions? Are the schedules/working conditions comparable (vacations, shifts, etc.)?

They Both pay the same, They both have CSP, The only one that will allow advancement is the Lt. Job... Anything farther on the OEM job would be governor appointed... If I were to take the OEM job I would not be able to continue on with Firefighting as a volly... I love that job but I have a wife and a baby and I know she would prefer me riding a desk... So many variables... I figure some of you old timers would know...

They Both pay the same, They both have CSP, The only one that will allow advancement is the Lt. Job... Anything farther on the OEM job would be governor appointed... If I were to take the OEM job I would not be able to continue on with Firefighting as a volly... I love that job but I have a wife and a baby and I know she would prefer me riding a desk... So many variables... I figure some of you old timers would know...

I know just about every minute I'm sitting at my desk, I wish I was back on the floor. If you think you can be happy with a desk job, then maybe it's not so hard to see your wife's POV. But if you're going to end up a miserable SOB from riding the desk, in the long run it may not be better. I'm fortunate to be able to at least get out on anything above a still alarm, so I can remain somewhat even keeled. It wouldn't even be a choice for me, short of the pay, the lieutenant's position was the most enjoyable.

I have two choices

What do you guys think?

how do you go from being a vol firefighter to a paid fire lt? arent you missing a step somewhere in between?

how do you go from being a vol firefighter to a paid fire lt? arent you missing a step somewhere in between?

If you have been a Volly for a certain amount of time you can take the Lt. test... All the Volly Districts in the county are operated and owned by the county... If I were to take the Lt. Job I would be a District Lt. So I would be a shift commander for that region which consists of three districts...

I Wanna do whats best for my family but I don't wanna sit behind a desk and miss the thrill.

Kind of an odd system but hey its the one you work in.

1. I've heard more cutbacks in OEM jobs then I have fire jobs and anyone can be a "spokesman" in addition to their duties.

2. I always strive for more advancement...again its just me but..I think that generally is what most people look for (or fight for).

3. Don't take this the wrong way as I think its just your choice of word...but if you want a thrill...go skydiving once in a while and take the desk job. Your looking at a management job and while I love what I do...I'm not in it for thrills and on top your looking at a management position which is not just a high level of responsibility but an honor and commitment to lead people. If I had to go to a desk at any level tomorrow..I'd miss the ability to get out the door and answer alarms...but not because I miss the "thrill" of it. I find no thrill in the things I deal with and I wish it on no one, I just want to kick a** when it does come my way.

4. With that said..it sounds like you really made your mind up and your skirting the issue or there are outside pressures pushing against what you want to do. Cause if I were a betting man..I'd say you want to take the FD position. Follow your heart cause you will do the best at that and in the end...you never know what the future holds and last thing you want to have to say is something like "I made this decision for you." You gotta make them for yourself...you could be run over on your way to your desk, drive into work etc. There are always risks in everything and family adapts to the job.

I think I am going to take the Lt. Job. My family supports it... And there are better benefits and hopefully in another ten years I will be wearing a white helmet. For now I'll be moving to the Red one.

If you have been a Volly for a certain amount of time you can take the Lt. test... All the Volly Districts in the county are operated and owned by the county... If I were to take the Lt. Job I would be a District Lt. So I would be a shift commander for that region which consists of three districts...

I Wanna do whats best for my family but I don't wanna sit behind a desk and miss the thrill.

ok you have my interest peaked, so as a shift commander, do all your vol. houses have set shifts? are you required to sign up for "X" number of shifts per month? what happens if the shifts are not covered? If every shift is always covered, maybe it should be looked into for depts having trouble getting out.

I agree with Chris but would add "Where would you be happy?"

Also, we New Yorkers don't know ennough about the structure of things there in New Mexico to be able to give accurate advice. If you can find Bill Vargas an ICS Instructor who was on the original ICS committee, he is probably the guy to ask. He was wwith NM OEM for a while.

If you can get to Socorro, find some retired Alberquerque (not even close spelling, huh) guys at bomb schools

Good Luck

I agree with Chris but would add "Where would you be happy?"

Also, we New Yorkers don't know ennough about the structure of things there in New Mexico to be able to give accurate advice. If you can find Bill Vargas an ICS Instructor who was on the original ICS committee, he is probably the guy to ask. He was wwith NM OEM for a while.

If you can get to Socorro, find some retired Alberquerque (not even close spelling, huh) guys at bomb schools

Good Luck

Thanks Gents, Took the Lt. Job, and Received my vehicle yesterday, Can't wait.

ok you have my interest peaked, so as a shift commander, do all your vol. houses have set shifts? are you required to sign up for "X" number of shifts per month? what happens if the shifts are not covered? If every shift is always covered, maybe it should be looked into for depts having trouble getting out.

Basically, All the Volly Houses have one officer who is always at the station, Who responds to calls, There are two other Lt.'s. Duty Section 1, Duty Section 2, Duty Section 3, I have duty section 2 which is middle of the week, So I spend my time at the station from tuesday to friday evening with the two paid paramedics and one firefighter, When a call comes in, Lets Say a car rollover on the highway, Tones will go out to the pagers, i.e. Medic 80, Hondo,

29Delta, Car rollover I-25 mile marker 282, Than I will Respond in either the Officers vehicle or On a rescue rig with the other FF and the Medic will respond as well....

Thanks Gents, Took the Lt. Job, and Received my vehicle yesterday, Can't wait.

Good luck...have fun...stay safe

Most of all, learn Something every day