Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PEMO3

LODD - White Plains PD

10 posts in this topic

A White Plains police officer has died in the line of duty.

Authorities said he collapsed after chasing and arresting a suspect on Saturday afternoon. Michael Perry, 43, was a 7 year veteran of the White Plains Police Department. He was taken to White Plains Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 5:30 p.m. with his family by his side. The cause of death has not been determined. Perry is survived by his wife and two children.

Officer Perry responded to a a larceny suspect at the entrance to Macy's Court Square and chased the suspect on foot, apprehended him at Court and Main and brought him back to police headquarters. Perry collapsed after arriving a police headquarters. The suspect was identified as Rickey Pryor, 53. Investigators said Pryor is a career criminal with more than 300 arrests. He has been charged with resisting arrest and larceny in this case.

Edited by PEMO3

A tragic loss for WPPD...Our prayers and condolences to his family.

Such a tragic story. RIP Officer Perry. You know, I read the first post, and I have 2 things to say. 1) If it were up to me, this perp would be charged with murder. however I know it doesnt meet the statatory requirements, however I fully believe he should at least get charged with manslaughter. That said. 2) 300 arrests???!!! Why is this guy even on the streets? I really feel bad when there's a LODD no matter what branch of public safety it's in. But this is just a total tragedy. My condolences to the brothers and sisters at WPPD

Such a tragic story. RIP Officer Perry. You know, I read the first post, and I have 2 things to say. 1) If it were up to me, this perp would be charged with murder. however I know it doesnt meet the statatory requirements, however I fully believe he should at least get charged with manslaughter. That said. 2) 300 arrests???!!! Why is this guy even on the streets? I really feel bad when there's a LODD no matter what branch of public safety it's in. But this is just a total tragedy. My condolences to the brothers and sisters at WPPD

My first thought was the same concept. Hopefully they figure out an angle to charge him with a felony so they can add felony murder to the charges and maybe get him put away for a change. Gotta love the revolving door of the NY Criminal "Justice" system.

RIP, PO Perry. Condolences to the entire WPPD family and the Perry's.

No doubt Mr. Pryor is a real POS who has likely never made a positive contribution to society and has certainly never done enough to equal the massive drain he has been. But to hit him with a murder charge for something that at first glance sounds like an underlying medical condition is severe. If he never even struggled with Officer Perry and it was simply the exertion from running that resulted in this tragedy, where do you draw the line? Officer pulls you over for speeding and he is hit by a car should you too be charged in his death? Both you and Mr. Pryor we're willfully violating the law and your actions resulted in the officer being placed in a position that resulted in their untimely death.

300 arrests?

Again, Why was this menace even on the streets?

This is insanity.

Unbelievable!

No doubt Mr. Pryor is a real POS who has likely never made a positive contribution to society and has certainly never done enough to equal the massive drain he has been. But to hit him with a murder charge for something that at first glance sounds like an underlying medical condition is severe. If he never even struggled with Officer Perry and it was simply the exertion from running that resulted in this tragedy, where do you draw the line? Officer pulls you over for speeding and he is hit by a car should you too be charged in his death? Both you and Mr. Pryor we're willfully violating the law and your actions resulted in the officer being placed in a position that resulted in their untimely death.

What potentially makes those examples different is any level of physical resistance offered or any altercation that ensued while trying to take the suspect into custody. Very different from innocently sitting in your car while on a traffic stop, while some other motorist strikes the officer with his/her car.

I read the whole article this morning I am in total shock this is a tough loss for the White Plains Police Dept

Using your line of reasoning, should the arsonist who started the blaze that killed Patrick Joyce be charged with his murder? After all, the FD wasn't even there when the fire was started and fire/smoke wasn't the cause of death. Should we go back to cross examining rape victims about what they were wearing? Your example of a speeding ticket is apples and oranges. If someone physically resists a police officer, they have a much greater responsibility for what happens.

Having medical conditions doesn't automatically disqualify someone from being a police or firefighter. Creating a situation that causes the death of a police officer (and others) while committing certain crimes does give rise to a charge of murder so the fact remains that the skell he was running after contributed to his death.

Where do we draw the line? The line is already drawn in the law and sadly this guy will probably get away with murder because he only committed a misdemeanor. Had he committed a robbery he could be on the hook for murder. And by the way - traffic offenses are not offenses that could do this.