Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Is this a good idea....I don't think so

42 posts in this topic

Last week someone mentioned they were at a chief's dinner and the pagers went off and almost the entire room empty out-to resond to the fire that was a mutual aid call from a number of depts. I made a mention of it and my post was deleted.  

DRINKING AND FIREFIGHTING DOESN"T MIX- END OF STORY :-k

Before I say anything else, I resent what you tried to imply in that comment. That implication and the way you pointed it out really upsets me. As I will explain, I am not trying to hide anything at all, your post was deleted for several reasons that had NOTHING to do with the issue you were trying to bring up.

Since you chose to take up this issue here, I will respond to you here. I also feel this point needs to be reviewed with a few other members. However, feel free to use the private message system for any issues you have with a post being deleted at any time. I don't want to stray a thread off topic.

I respect the point you were trying to get across, but the way you did it wasn't appropriate

Although we agree that no one should respond intoxicated (look at what has happened in FDNY and other departments nationwide as a consequence), that had nothing to do with the post deletion.

The reason your comment was deleted in that other thread was was because:

1. It had NOTHING to do with the topic at hand, or the discussion.

2. The post made an accusation based on an assumption, and accusation without evidence that it even happened

3. The post named or otherwise obviously refered to a specific department, and was considered an attack on that department.

4. The post was negative, and non constructive, .

5. The post had quite potential to incite a "war".

6. Poster had a history of negative, "pot-stirring" and rule-violating posts, and seemingly a critical accusation of every department.

7. Several complaints were recieved.

In fact, I was informed from reliable and seperate sources the department in question had standby crews on, and the entire room did not dump out . Although that has nothing to do with the post deletion, that fact is irrelevant but shows how quickly some people are to jump on sometimes inaccurate inormation.

A comment like the one made had a potential to start a "war". This board WILL NOT become a trashfest. It is online to be a positive, constructive, and respectful place to share news, ideas, information,etc (I'm getting sick of saying that!) It is getting increasingly difficult to maintain that.

The rules are clearly posted, and members have been reminded several times, both through postings and private messages. If a member chooses to ignore the rules, the post is going to be deleted. In addition, any post made to incite trouble, any post that is negative or does not lead to or for a positive, constructive, and respectful conversation WILL be deleted. Also, any member who continouslly violates the rules or continously tests to see where I draw the line, is more at risk of having their post deleted.

A discussion like this is tolerated, because for the most part, it is positive, constructive, and members are for the most part respectful of each other. This board WILL NOT be a place to take up specific issues with specific departments, to trash anyone or anything.

Let's simplify---

I think a few good ideas/arguments posted in this thread are good and valid, BUT i think the major issue(s) should be: If you want to drink-- fine but if you are in uniform as 648eng119 said leave the shirt and jacket in the car. We can hold an eternal discussion about this but the bottom line is public perception period. It's the same old story--- always do the right thing the right way and you'll never be noticed BUT make one mistake and you're a jackass for life.

One of my teachers had a great saying...

"It takes 100 'ataboys' to make up for one 'oh %^#"

How true it is

EMTBRAVO Thank You,

I wasn't trying to be negative with my comments- I was just trying to point out at these type's of functions Alcohol is consumed and then members respond to emergencies after drinking. It is a practice that shouldn't be accepted in this day and age.

DRINKING AND FIREFIGHTING DOESN't MIX. :-k

EMTBRAVO Thank You,

I wasn't trying to be negative with  my comments- I was just trying to point out at these type's of functions Alcohol is consumed and then members respond to emergencies after drinking.  It is a practice that shouldn't be accepted in this day and age.

DRINKING AND FIREFIGHTING DOESN't MIX. :-k

I for the most part understand that no negativity was implied in the initial comment.....and the serious operational and safety issue you were trying to present. I respect that, however the context it was presented in did not fit, and was percieved as negative as such, so I had no choice but to delete.

All I want for this board is it to be a positive and constructive way to share information and views, and as a learning tool. And for the most part, I think it is. It's to easy to sit, make negative comments, and criticize, that leads nowhere and just starts arguments. I have seen firsthand how discussions on this board can lead to positive change, and I hope to keep that up.

Now you see, someone aggravated EMTBravo!!

Sorry Mr. Bravo!

Can't we all just get along?

585, im not trying to argue...get your facts together then come to me with a story

I made no direct comments about this incident, just all incidents of this type in general. I am not the kind of person that goes "head-hunting" or "Department bashing." I look out for all of us, especially when public perception is far too often in the negative, and I try to offer my opinion. If you don't appreciate my opinion, that is your choice.

One last thing - Don't let this stuff become personal. And this doesn't just apply to Alfons - but to all of you. Don't point fingers and start fights, but try and offer your opinion in a constructive manner.

You guys just point and look, like hery, I can write about this tomorrow on EmTBRavo, and see how many people are going to agree with me because I work at 60 control.

I do, really? I didn't know that. When did I start. WRONG! Guess again!

And even if I didn't have the whole story, as you said in a later post, I got the jist of it. It shouldn't matter if you come from a parade, inspection, funeral (god forbid) or any other uniformed event. I just don't agree with being in a bar in uniform. I wasn't critisizing, because I wasn't there, and this isn't the place to do that. I just wanted to know how people felt on the issue. That's the main reason I left out Dept. names and where the bar was. I think you guys filled in that info for everyone else.

Once again--I guess no one here listens to the site administrator or others that have chimed in. Stop the bashing and have civil orderly ADULT conversations. A person has a right to their opinion agree or not--whatever--don't bash them or this site!! CAn we please get back to the TOPIC (not one particular incident) PLEASE!!!

i've been to the bar with smokeshowing......he had on some type of fire department jacket on while he was in there(non-uniform)...wonder why he's complaining

I am not a forum moderator for this forum but as stated... personal attacks and bashing will NOT be tolerated on this board!!!

This forum was posted to hear opinions of other people, not to attack anybody, so stick to the opinions only!!!!!!!

WATCH OUT HE MIGHT THROW A SNOWBALL AT YOU IF YOUR NOT CAREFUL! :D