Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WAS967

Yankees owner George Steinbrenner dies of heart attack

11 posts in this topic

God bless MR. Steinbrenner. I bet the fact that one of his Yankee coaches helped a Red Sox win the HR derby :lol: just didn't sit well with the boss. Many health probs I know but now he can be at EVERY game! :ph34r:

Edited by Firediver

The Boss. Goes out at a time when the new stadium has ben built, for the next hundred years he becomes part of the folklore of the Yankees as the man who replaced the House the Ruth Built and built The house That George Built (I think it's the House that Jeter Built) sees his team win multiple championships up to franchise number 27, and goes into this year's All Star break with the best record in the major leauges. And they've somehow done it while enduring multiple early season injuries. Hey let's face it; some of those boys out there wearing 5 world championship rings are getting up there in baseball years. Jorge, playing the toughest position, naturally is showing it most.

He goes out with his life's dreams fulfilled many times over for many people. As much as some of us hated him through the Billy Martin managing years, when Yogi left the stadium and would not return for many years, when Lou Pinella kicked more dirt than usual.

The players union should be more than grateful. His Dave Winfield deal would pave the way for megastardom in the modern world for free agent success stories. Under his watch, the Yankee organization became a world player with the creation of the Yes Network.

The organization has been so successful, and in such a strong market with big local backing, from filling the stands to corporate advertising deals on their network, that under the revenue sharing agreement in MLB, they subsidise places like Kansas City, and have done so for years.

I'm not saying they are angels (they are in L.A.) but under The Boss's watch, the Yankees have been quite a success story; so how bad can we feel for the old man checking out now while he's at the top? That's the way to go right?

He's got high schools and public works, hospitals in Tampa named after him for his generosity. The man had it and he went with it Alice.

So God Bless Mr. Steinbrenner,

may his family be comforted by many Yankee wins.

28 for The Boss to bring to the Pearly Gate.

George Steinbrenner was a very generous man, and not just to baseball players. In 1982 after attending the funeral for an NYPD officer killed in the line of duty, George started a foundation called the Silver Shields. This foundation gives college scholarships to the children of NYPD and FDNY members killed in the line of duty.

Love em or hate em, the man had brass ones the size of that stadium, which never overshadowed his generosity, which we rarely heard about. RIP Boss. I would say it's the house that George and Jeter built. (PS I am a die hard Mets fan)

Edited by JBE

what is a "massive heart attack" ?:blink:

RIP. G.S.

what is a "massive heart attack" ?:blink:

RIP. G.S.

Exactly what it is, a massive heart attack, a major myocardial infarction, total stoppage of the heart. The Boss has been ill for quite some time and his old-ticker couldn't hack it anymore unfortunately.

Love him or hate him he did turn the Yankees around (and yes I was one of the fans that cheered is banishment in 1990). But he also did a lot of good for the community and with the public. I still say if he had owned the Mets, the Red Sox or another other team, he would have been the same way and the outcome would have been with similar results.

RIP Boss!!! There is a calzone waiting for you!

Exactly what it is, a massive heart attack, a major myocardial infarction, total stoppage of the heart. The Boss has been ill for quite some time and his old-ticker couldn't hack it anymore unfortunately.

lol thanks Izzy - I was only being a smart a$$. I have never heard of a quote "massive heart attack" per say. There are many types, as far as thickness of myocardium involved, location, type of occlusion, which CA involved and size of bed it perfuses, but I always wonder what is considered a "massive heart attack." every time i hear it i just think of the whole heart loosing all blood supply and as a result, a 100% transmural infarct of all heart muscle resulting in sudden cardiac death. which I guess can be possible now that I think about it. :huh:

Read a news blurb today. Good timing for the Boss to check out. He's a winner, even dying. There's a lapse in the Fed estate tax. By him dying now, his family will save approximately 500 million in taxes to the Feds. That means they will continue to own the Yankees without hardship.

In six months the tax goes back into effect, and it had only lapsed since the begining of this year.

Nice timing Boss.

Rest in Peace.

Read a news blurb today. Good timing for the Boss to check out. He's a winner, even dying. There's a lapse in the Fed estate tax. By him dying now, his family will save approximately 500 million in taxes to the Feds. That means they will continue to own the Yankees without hardship.

In six months the tax goes back into effect, and it had only lapsed since the begining of this year.

Yup. Estate tax. will go back into effect as you stated. Most BS and absolutely sickening tax of them all ! good for GS's family.

Say what you will about the Late "Boss". He turned a completely failing franchise into the greatest franchise in sports. He so with respect and dignity, remembering that without the LEGENDS who wore pinstripes, they'd be nothing today. He was a character sometimes to a fault, but that's a part of what made him great.

Thanks for making the Yankees what they are today!