Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NJMedic

Westchester DES Scene Support Unit

10 posts in this topic

Anyone come across a new delivery to WCDES called the Scene Support Unit? See photo.

post-3609-093172200 1279645629.jpg

x635 likes this

That is a very interesting truck; what exactly is it's purpose if anyone knows.

Interesting looking truck. Looks like it would establish a group of "honeycombed" type MASH tents for a large scale MCI or extended operation to provide on site medical support or administrative/ICS space in a controlled environment. Interesting that such a unit has been kept so quiet if in fact it was actually delivered and not just a concept design. Either way a good idea for an extended operation or pre-scheduled large scale event.

A review of the company website (http://www.westernshelter.com/) found this description:

Western Shelter Systems are so much more than a rapid response tent. From emergency medical to tactical and remote field operations, Western Shelter Systems turn-key camps are custom designed to provide a portable and rapidly deployable system to meet all the needs of your mission. Western Shelter Systems solutions and support products are crafted with deployability, interoperability and superior performance in mind.

Edited by PEMO3

Might it be something for the DMAT?

Western Shelter makes the "tent" systems for DMAT, Federal USAR (and many of the State USARs). The system picture on the ad looks like what they call the Gatekeeper. Basically is is 8 large tents and two smaller tents with 10 4.5 ton Trane HAVC units on wheels, lights, tables, stretchers. Enough space for 100 patients. Here in NJ our Gatekeeper system is on three large trailers. That means enough storage area for three trailers and three tow vehicles are needed. We have also discussed putting the system on a straight job and this seems to fit the bill plus some extras.

Might it be something for the DMAT?

It is the same system used by DMAT but DMAT is a federal asset and I doubt a county would be buying the federal government equipment.

But stranger things have happended.

Impressive vehicle. DES seems to be aqquiring a lot of vehicles. I really hope that they are also as agressive with getting funding to expand 60 Control's facilities and increasad compensation for their dispatchers, but I digress.

Who staffs this vehicle? And for the wheelbase, you'd think a tractor trailer would be a better fit.

Does anyone have anymore info on this new piece of equipment? Where will it be stored...it looks to long for the support services building garage. Also, when it delivery expected?

Does this have anything to do with the white striped trailers that have been recently delivered?

I only know what is here .... except that it is parked in the building services garage on Walker Road, next to the Field Com Unit.

I only know what is here .... except that it is parked in the building services garage on Walker Road, next to the Field Com Unit.

Anyone know who the good to guy is at DES about this truck?

Edited by NJMedic