Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New to the area, help with finding a job.

7 posts in this topic

Hello all from warmer climates,

I will be moving to the NYC area (Queens more specifically) at the end of the year. Now I have to start the ever dreaded job hunt. I am a Paramedic with 6 years 911 experience in a very busy urban system (Houston, TX), as well as 5 years on the fire side. I currently hold certs in ACLS, PHTLS, BTLS, PALS, AHA Instructor, and several from NAED. I am also certified in Tactical / SWAT EMS, and Haz-Mat. Currently Im bringing home ~ 20.00 /hr, and work 24 hr shifts.

Where are some good places to go looking for a job ? I would prefer 911, but am not so full of myself that I think I'm "above" transfer as well lol. Any info on how the EMS world works in NYC would be awesome. More specifically looking for leads on companies that have a good reputation to work for, and will at least match my current salary ( or allow me to live and eat lol).

Thanks in advance.

Clayton

EMS in Texas is MUCH better and much more advanced, and better compensated, then in NYC, especially with their failing economy right now. I used to be from NY and now live in the Austin area. There are some decent, progressive agencies but they are few and far between and difficult to get onto.

I don't want to be a downer, but I'd much rather work EMS down here then back in NY. However, two of the better agencies (not in Queens though) that I know of are Empress EMS ( http://www.empressems.com ) and Westchester EMS ( http://www.westchesterems.org ) .

If you'll be out in Queens you can look into LIJ (Long Island Jewish) Health or New York Hospital- Queens - both operate 911 units in NYC and also have their own transport units IIRC. I dunno if FDNY is hiring at present, but I think you'd be disappointed working for FDNY after working in Houston.

I won't question your decision to move to NY, but if you have the ability, I'd say stay in Texas. The cost of living up here is WAY more than it is in TX and I don't think the pay increase for you (more than 50% if you work one of the voluntary hospitals) will make up for the increased expenses. (Plus we get this white crap called snow a lot that can be annoying for people not used to it :P ).

You're going to see a substantial pay bump, but I don't know how that compares to the increase cost of living. Lowest starting pay I'm aware of outside FDNY is $28/hr. If you need health insurance and are looking for a pension FDNY is the way to go and is always hiring medics. If you just need a cash gig transcare will snap you up quickly while you wait out some of the better hospital gigs. Columbia Presbyterian is probably the best job in that respect. One of highest paid with access to dignitary protection details, special events, and some really good transport gigs.

Thanks for the great info so far. The more help I can grab, the better. I have a better half, so theres another income as well... HaHa everyone says huge cost of living hike. I'm here to tell ya, Houston's not all that much cheaper when you move around the daily expenses a bit, and when you look straight across the board, pretty much anywhere in the country is more expensive than Houston.

Rental housing can be just as expensive, but you have other factors to weigh for a city like Houston. #1 being transportation. If you live in Houston, you absolutely must have a vehicle, this is not an option. Public Transit (Metro) is almost non existent and what is there sucks. Houston is an extremely large city geographically. You cannot leave your house without driving. Cost of car ownership/operation is horrendous. Ex: For 1 SUV, and a small Sedan my household avg gas cost is around 500-600 / mo. Insurance is also sky high. Im lucky both of our cars are paid for I guess. Electricity costs are also a huge sticker shock. Our avg electric bill is around 175/mo in the winter, and 275/mo in the summer, for a 900 sq. ft. apt with north facing windows, and a ceiling fan in each room. If you live in houston, the a/c will run 24/365... I keep getting the "you're gonna hate the winter" line. I tell ya this; After you've spent a summer working 911 in Houston where the heat index is 110 by noon with 98% humidity and not a cloud in the sky to block the blazing sun, you'll happily take the winter... either way cold or hot if your working a scene outside your gonna be wet and miserable HaHa.

Cost of living is give and take. You reduce the cost here, and increase it there.

Again thanks for the awesome comments so far, keep em' comming. If it helps (hope it doesn't hurt) I'm a huge Mets fan!

I must add that Austin/Central Texas/Capitol Region/Hill Country where I live is a lot different then Houston, and 4 hours away on the southeastern coast of Texas for those who don't know.

I could never deal with the humidity you have in Houston.

Some things you should think of, we don't pay state income tax here in Texas. If you do buy a property anywhere within the NYC area, property taxes are really high. You also pay city and state income tax. It costs several dollars to drive over some bridges. And if you do drive in some parts of the city, prepare to pay for it.

Also, in NYC you can get everywhere using public transportation, which is great. I do miss that somewhat, however the Austin area is pretty small and there's not much traffic, at least not anywhere near what Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, or NYC has.

The cold and snow is OK if you don't have to drive in it, work in it, clean off your car after your shift, and then drive home to shovel your driveway. And you don't have to worry about warming up your car. Also, if your house is heated by an oil burner, then that costs a fortune as well.

You should also get used to the stairchair. I BARELY use it in Texas, but in NYC almost everything is a carry up and then carry down. EMS in the NYC area is completly different then EMS in Texas, they are way behind some things we have here. Also, there are no ALS Engines or trucks up there, and the FD is not always so helpful or trained/equpped properly. Outside NYC, a large portion of EMS is provided by a fragmented system of volunteer BLS ambulances and paid ALS, mostly in flycars. Most BLS transport are done by commercial agencies, and most of them also provide BLS 911 thrugh contract. And there aren't many EMS stations- you spend most of your shift in the "bus".

As for the cost of living, I would NEVER be able to afford my lifestyle down here if I lived in NY. For what I sold a 1000 square foot apartment with no property for I bought a nice house in a master planned community here in Round Rock with all the amenities, and my taxes are a fraction of what I paid up there, and I get more services for my taxes.

My water bill, however, is what kills me in summer. I want to water my lawn more, but it makes you conserve water though! And last winter, natural gas bill went up a little as it was a COLD winter!

My suggestion- spend a week when you can (Winter would have been best) riding along with different agencies and seeing what you will get for your money. I could get you hooked up, as well as other members of this forum, with ride alongs.

Also, there are no ALS Engines or trucks up there, and the FD is not always so helpful.

You're not talking about FDNY................Are you?