Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

PPE For Apparatus Drivers

35 posts in this topic

Our only guidance on TOG/driving says that you shall not wear a helmet while driving (or riding) and must not use the thumb loop/wristlets in the coat while driving as they do not allow a firm grip on the wheel. Every year when we re-certify as drivers (yes every year) we must drive the course in full TOG, as most personnel still wear all their gear. We've yet to have any issue, though I can see allowing personal preference on the coat. I'd like to say our operators could forgo bunkers as well, but our short staffing reality is that they will be very busy at most scenes whether it's a fire, extrication or otherwise. While I rarely drive except in recertification, I find that between the TOG,radio strap and seatbelt my maneuverability as a rider is quite restricted, so I certainly would agree this is an issue to consider. The leather boots made this so much better. I remember getting my hip boots trapped under the front of the seat while driving "back in the day". They even made some "driver's boot" for awhile with lower backs.

I recall a situation a few years back where an engine caught fire while pumping at a working fire. The operator was wearing full ppe ( His dept required it for pumping) and he did not sustain serious injuries or burns. I want to say it was in either TX or CO but can't seem to find the email from the secret list about this. Anyone else recall this situation? I remember there was photo's of the engine as well.

Edited by CTFF

Interesting post. As the driver asigned to my rig I follow our policy. It is up to the driver. We wear shorts in the summer so if you go on a run you have to wear your night hitch. I usually wear my hitch and will put on my coat if i need to. I will keep them close by.

What's a "night hitch"? We wear shorts at work as well, sometimes year round. To be honest, I'm not sure what the official policy is, but if we're responding to an EMS run and I'm wearing shorts, I put my pants on, as a minimum. I've stepped, knelt, ect. in blood many times. Still again, the Chauffeur isn't getting out on EMS, so he doesn't really need to do anything he wouldn't do on any other run. It's a personal decision for him/her. I'll say that this remains true for structural responses as well. In our case, most of the time, the engine shouldn't be IFO the building. Hopefully the rig is a building or so down the block or clear across the street. Obviously the hydrant location plays a role in the rigs positioning, but the front should be left of the ladders. If this is the case, why does the ECC need to wear anything? Sure, there are ways that he could be injured, such as a burst lengh, ect. However, you're not protecting yourself from these hazards unless you're fully bunkered up. I'd say that the benefits of keeping cool and moving around in the street hooking up, helping, ect., out weigh the dangers typically encountered. Obviously we're talking about an engine chauffeur. The truck is a whole 'nother story and the I would think that LCC should be on that turn-table in gear, ready to go perform whatever task is necessary, once the stick is in place. I believe that the LCC is only required to stay at the turn table on tower ladders.

The above is, of course, not without caveat. Perhaps that engine chauffeur is closer to the building in this case and in the path of falling debris, should things start coming out windows. Maybe the upstanding residents of the building across the way have decided that today is a good day to work on their aim with a glass bottle from the 20th floor.

Any and every opinion in these matters is not without an asterisk. We encounter too many variables to be able to follow specific protocol without an injection of common sense. Use your head.

Edited by M' Ave

I am going with bunker pants at a minimum. Rain, shine, hot,cold they're on. When I am the Engine Chauffeur, my rig is at the very least 3rd due in the city. A lil tight yes, but that it what driver training is for on Sundays and returning to qtrs from most calls. Question is, Was the rig (Engine, Truck, Rescue etc) designed to be driven with bunker gear on? Hmmmm! :ph34r:

Edited by Firediver

I think that for OUR ENGINE, PPE makes operating the apparatus a bit harder, but not impossible. I still feel more comfortable in street clothes, but my PPE is always in the compartment right behind me should I arrive O/S and need it. While I don't think that NFPA has anything to say on the subject of TOG for MPO, the 2009 revision does state that no person in the apparatus should wear helmets while riding in the rig.