Followers 0
dragonrescue

Remembrance FDNY; Brooklyn Box 3300 August 2, 1978 - FDNY

8 posts in this topic

I

remember this day like it was yesterday. My dad, Tony Dragonetti, was

assigned to E-254 and worked the 9x6 tour. He was walking into the

firehouse as E-254 & L-153 were pulling out onto Avenue U. He would

have been on the roof in place of Terry Cambell who was badly burned. I was 14 and remember waking up to my mom's screams,

when she heard the news of the fire on the radio. We took a ride to the

scene from LI and found my dad sitting on the back step of 254's rig in

tears (my dad never cries). I never saw my mom hug my dad like the way she did at that

moment. I still well up with tears when I think about that scene. It

was a sigh of relief for me to see my dad safe and extremely sad at the

same time to hear him say the names of the guys that perished. I spent

my entire childhood life and beyond at the firehouse on Avenue U and these brave

men were my family and will always have a place in my heart. May they

be remembered forever and RIP......

6 NYC firefighters lost their lives at the Waldbaum's fire on August 2, 1978. This was the largest loss of firefighters in a single fire in Brooklyn. The firefighters died at the fire when the roof collapsed, and 34 others were injured. At the time, it was the worst single disastrous fire for FDNY.

The heroic firefighters who died are FF George Rice, 38, Ladder 153, FF James McManus, 48. Cov. Lt. James Cutillo, 39, 33rd Batt., FF Harold Hastings, 39, 42nd Batt., FF Charles Bouton,38, L. 156 and William O'Connor,29 of L. 156.

gpdexplorer and Bnechis like this

Never Forget is just a word throw around but every class I have taken in the fire service has mentioned in one form or another the Waldbaums fire on 8/2/78. We may not have learned from their lessons but we certainly have not forgotten.

Never Forget their lessons

Rest In Peace

The lessons of the Waldbaums fire must be learned by all fire fighters and officers.

We must never foget these men or the lesson of that day.

If you do not understand what happened you must read both Brainigan & Dunn.

Mike thank you for sharing your experience. It teaches us why it is so critical to understand what happened that day and hopeful will remind all firefighters why it is so critical to our families and the families of our brothers & sisters.

I

remember this day like it was yesterday. My dad, Tony Dragonetti, was

assigned to E-254 and worked the 9x6 tour. He was walking into the

firehouse as E-254 & L-153 were pulling out onto Avenue U. He would

have been on the roof in place of Terry Cambell who was badly burned. I was 14 and remember waking up to my mom's screams,

when she heard the news of the fire on the radio. We took a ride to the

scene from LI and found my dad sitting on the back step of 254's rig in

tears (my dad never cries). I never saw my mom hug my dad like the way she did at that

moment. I still well up with tears when I think about that scene. It

was a sigh of relief for me to see my dad safe and extremely sad at the

same time to hear him say the names of the guys that perished. I spent

my entire childhood life and beyond at the firehouse on Avenue U and these brave

men were my family and will always have a place in my heart. May they

be remembered forever and RIP......

6 NYC firefighters lost their lives at the Waldbaum's fire on August 2, 1978. This was the largest loss of firefighters in a single fire in Brooklyn. The firefighters died at the fire when the roof collapsed, and 34 others were injured. At the time, it was the worst single disastrous fire for FDNY.

The heroic firefighters who died are FF George Rice, 38, Ladder 153, FF James McManus, 48. Cov. Lt. James Cutillo, 39, 33rd Batt., FF Harold Hastings, 39, 42nd Batt., FF Charles Bouton,38, L. 156 and William O'Connor,29 of L. 156.

This tragedy occurred a couple of years prior to my getting on the job. I responded to the fire as an EMT. It was a very emotional scene, lot's of off duty Firemen from all over the job came to the incident and assisted. Later in my career as a Fireman, I worked with a member who had fallen through the fire and was burned at Box 3300 on that morning. Thankfully he survived and was eventually able to resume his career. He told me of his experience, it was obvious that it left a lasting imprint in his mind. What a sad day, I'll never forget the event nor will I forget the sacrifice made by these six brave men, as well as the pain and suffering of their families and Brother Firemen.

Edited by bad box

Thanks for sharing that memory. Its easy to forget these incidents since 9/11 happened because the loss that day dwarfs everything else. But we can't let that happen. Thanks for the post.

I rode my bike to the scene after hearing it on the scanner, I was 9 at the time (there is a picture out there with me and my dad online). I had never seen anything like it. Ocean Avenue was filled with apparatus, hoses were everywhere, ambulances, police cars, etc, lined the side streets. I remember standing next to someone who went to our Church (St.Marks) watching the fire when all hell broke loose. IT was just chaos. My Dad told me there where guys that fell through the roof and he was going to assist (he was an EMT at the time). I remember the exterior wall on the Avenue Y side that they breached, it was awful when they pulled those guys out. There were so many of us who knew someone or was related to someone. Everyone from the neighborhood was there lending a hand. A very surreal moment indeed.

I rode my bike to the scene after hearing it on the scanner, I was 9 at the time (there is a picture out there with me and my dad online). I had never seen anything like it. Ocean Avenue was filled with apparatus, hoses were everywhere, ambulances, police cars, etc, lined the side streets. I remember standing next to someone who went to our Church (St.Marks) watching the fire when all hell broke loose. IT was just chaos. My Dad told me there where guys that fell through the roof and he was going to assist (he was an EMT at the time). I remember the exterior wall on the Avenue Y side that they breached, it was awful when they pulled those guys out. There were so many of us who knew someone or was related to someone. Everyone from the neighborhood was there lending a hand. A very surreal moment indeed.

Anthony, what street did you grow up on? I lived on East 26th street between Voorhies and Shore Pkwy. I also attended St. Marks until the 6th grade and moved out to LI.

Mike Dragonetti

Anthony, what street did you grow up on? I lived on East 26th street between Voorhies and Shore Pkwy. I also attended St. Marks until the 6th grade and moved out to LI.

Mike Dragonetti

LOL...

East 28th between Z and Voorhies...between the two of us we probably know the entire neighborhood. Shoot me an e-mail: anthony.tester@yahoo.com

Small world!