Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

Cold Weather Operations

6 posts in this topic

Now that winter has reared its ugly, cold head upon us, we need to focus on the hazards related to this time of the year. Naturally, none of us want to get hurt on a fire scene, but the added low temperatures really make life miserable for all of us. Below, I have listed some of the common problems we encounter this time of the year.

1. Icy Roadways: This problem is all too common now with ambient air tempatures below freezing at night, and just above during the day. What may be a puddle at 12 noon may be an ice patch at 12am. Whether you are driving your Engine, Ambulance or POV, you need to make sure you are aware of roadway conditions. This is especially important at night, when seeing the ice may not be easy until you are on top of it. Take the time to learn your roads and where these hazards may be.

2. Buried Hydrants: When the snow falls, if your town is like mine, the #1 priority is clearing the roads, then the public sidewalks, then maybe the hydrants. Each municipality may have different laws pertaining to this, for example in the Village of Croton, homeowners are suppost to clear hydrants in front of their homes. This rarely happens. Know your hydrant locations ahead of time, and be prepared to dig it out.

3. Pump / Hose Runoff: If you are working a fire for 5 minutes or 5 hours, you will end up with water on the ground at the nozzle, at the hydrant and at the pump. Carrying a container of rock salt may help, but it may be easier to carry sand to provide traction. Make sure your scenes are well lit up, and if the problem is large enough (especially in the road) have Fire Police or the like divert traffic.

4. Frozen Handlines: If it isn't in use, either shut it down and get it out of the way or keep the nozzle cracked open to allow some water flow. As we tell our men and women to "never leave the nozzle unattended," we should be teaching them to never let it freeze either.

5. Keeping your people WARM!: This is the utmost importance, and unfortunatly, is overlooked far too often. Plenty of Chiefs make accomodations to keep the crew cool and hydrated in warmer weather, but many overlook the importance of keeping the crew warm in the cold weather. Make arrangments for a vehicle or other type of shelter to rehab the gang. Use a Rescue, Ambulance, or get a bus to the scene. Most School Districts as well as the County Bee-Line System are willing to help. Keep the people moving around and busy. There is no reason to watch them stand around and for lack of better terms "Freeze their asses off!" Get warm fluids and foods to the scene for rehab. Have dry gear ready for them to change. If it isn't possible to do so, get fresh bodies in there to do the job. A firefighter who is wet in these temperatures can experience numbness in the extremities, skin burns, frostbite, and even hypothermia. Monitor the firefighters periodically and make sure they are OK.

6. Pump Freezing - If apparatus are staged and not actually flowing water, they could freeze. Pipes in the pump as well as the tank itself could suffer substantial damage if not properly cared for. Circulate the pumps on all your pumping rigs. There is no reason to damage your rig and possibly put it out of service because it was sitting idle. Keep the water moving.

Stay warm my friends, winter is just beginning...but more importantly, STAY SAFE!

Some Excellent Advice!!!! :D

I agree with these tips.. very important (though thankfully it's starting to warm up now)..

One other thing I think was overlooked, particularly in this forum is that training and drills in the cold weather and other inclement weather is important. How are you going to operate on a fire scene in the middle of a snowstorm at 3am, or in subzero temperatures, or in driving rain, if you've never even trained in those conditions.

Not saying we should go out and all try getting hypothermia, but it's important that we get accustomed to how our turnout gear responds to lower temperatures, what additional limitations are placed on our movement, and on our endurance in general, and finally, how our tools will react in the cold weather.

I recently took the FF Survival course over at Valhalla and it was one of the coldest days of the winter. I learned what can happen with the Scott regulators when you take them off and try to use them again after your breath has frozen inside. That's something I'd rather face in a training environment than in a real fire scene.

Thats definetly some good points.......however when faced by some lesser dedicated people, I sure wouldn't want to be the chief or training officer assigned to coordinate this activitie, lol!

I do agree with you though, I'd rather have take the time in a controlled situation (and maybe be a little uncomfortable) to see what works and what doesnt. This may also work so see what we need to do to make ourselves more comforatble/warm in our gear without comprimising our safety or movement.

I think the primary cold-weather planning for most people is hope....hoping it doesnt happen.

I agree, practice like it was real, full speed ahead. You know when you have a drill set up and it is raining or snowing, you get the couple of people who don't want to get wet or cold, leave

them at the firehouse and go play.

Here is a question for ya? Does anybody have a problem with

leather boots in the winter compared to rubber ones in your bunkers. I have had people tell me they like the rubber ones

because they don't slip in the snow?

I have never had a problem.!

That's odd.. last I checked, the soles of my leather boots were rubber.. just like my rubber boots :-D