Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fire Hydrants

9 posts in this topic

In the City of Albany how far do you have to park away from a fire hydrant in a residential.

In the City of Albany how far do you have to park away from a fire hydrant in a residential.

Someone get a ticket?

From Albany Municipal Code:

9-10.1 Application of Regulations.

a. The provisions of this Chapter prohibiting the stopping, standing or parking of a vehicle shall apply at all times or at those times herein specified, except when it is necessary to stop a vehicle to avoid conflict with other traffic or in compliance with the directions of a Police Officer or official traffic-control device.

b. The provisions of this Chapter imposing a time limit on standing or parking shall not relieve any person from the duty to observe other and more restrictive provisions of the Vehicle Code of the State, or of this Code or other ordinances of the City, prohibiting or limiting the standing or parking of vehicles in specified places or at specified times.

From NY State Drivers Manual:

Parking, standing or stopping is not allowed:

* Within 15 feet (5 m) of a fire hydrant, unless a licensed driver remains in the vehicle to move it in an emergency.

No ticket yet. I have a fire hydrant near the side of my house in front of my alley way. And my next door neighbors drive way on the other side of my house. I have not so friendly neighbors and have parked in front of my house since Iv lived there. The pass week one of my other neighbors got a ticket from what I'm assuming to be for parking near a hydrant by a meter maid. The neighbors I have issues with, now placed duck tape in the street as markers from their living room so they can see how close one( they are waiting for me) parks to the hydrant so they can call the police. So what the law is telling me is I have to either park two houses down from my house or a house or two up?

No ticket yet. I have a fire hydrant near the side of my house in front of my alley way. And my next door neighbors drive way on the other side of my house. I have not so friendly neighbors and have parked in front of my house since Iv lived there. The pass week one of my other neighbors got a ticket from what I'm assuming to be for parking near a hydrant by a meter maid. The neighbors I have issues with, now placed duck tape in the street as markers from their living room so they can see how close one( they are waiting for me) parks to the hydrant so they can call the police. So what the law is telling me is I have to either park two houses down from my house or a house or two up?

No. What the law is telling you is that you can't park within 15 feet either side of a fire hydrant.

No. What the law is telling you is that you can't park within 15 feet either side of a fire hydrant.

Yea and theres a drive way on the one side so I can't park in the other persons drive way so I have to park farther up. Then if its 15 feet Id have have to park farther down because next to the house going down is a drive way.

Wait 'til the middle of the night, then move the duct tape. Your car won't be legal, but at least you'll have fun.

Yea and theres a drive way on the one side so I can't park in the other persons drive way so I have to park farther up. Then if its 15 feet Id have have to park farther down because next to the house going down is a drive way.

But reguardless you have to park 15 feet away from the hydrant, so if someones driveway is in the way then you must go farther down the street.