Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

NYS EMS Certs for FD Members

7 posts in this topic

A little over two years ago, our FD stopped providing EMS and EMS split off, becoming their own organization. Many in the FD became members of this new EMS organization, in part, to retain a CFR or EMT certification.

The question I have, is now that our FD is not an EMS provider, is there a way for members to get or stay certified as CFRs or EMTs without paying the cost of the program? For example, if I wanted to recert my EMT and I am not a member of EMS, is there a way that our FD can "sponsor" me, similar to how EMS agencies do, where there is no cost?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

A little over two years ago, our FD stopped providing EMS and EMS split off, becoming their own organization. Many in the FD became members of this new EMS organization, in part, to retain a CFR or EMT certification.

The question I have, is now that our FD is not an EMS provider, is there a way for members to get or stay certified as CFRs or EMTs without paying the cost of the program? For example, if I wanted to recert my EMT and I am not a member of EMS, is there a way that our FD can "sponsor" me, similar to how EMS agencies do, where there is no cost?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

The FD must routinly respond to EMS calls (not just MVA's) and then apply to NYS DOH BEMS to become a 1st response agency. The only way to not pay is to have a State Agency Number.

You could ask the vac to sponsor you...gary might work with ya.

We have. Problem is that the people that want it may have resigned from EMS so it's kind of a touchy subject... if you know what I mean.

Apply to get your BLSFR agency status. I know many FD's in the area that respond to little or no ems calls but on paper. You'll get your agency code and solve your problems. All the requirements are on the DOH site and touch subject or not it makes sense to have it to CYA. Gonna have to get a letter from the EMS gang agreeing to transport patients you've started patient care on.

You could ask the vac to sponsor you...gary might work with ya.

If you are not a riding member of the sponsering agency, NYS considers this fraud.

If you are not a riding member of the sponsering agency, NYS considers this fraud.

Unless you have a written agreement that the FFEMT will fill in on a crew if needed.