Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EJS1810

FDNY Beret Ban

12 posts in this topic

I just watched WNBC's coverage of the St Patricks Day Parade and as terrible as it was I did see some FDNY members wearing thier Beret's. Good for them. I also saw a bunch marching under the IAFF banner. Perhaps this was thier way to get around the ban. The parade coverage made no mention of it and barely showed the firefighters. It was more importent to get another commercial for Ford on the air.

What a sight it was to see what could have been 750-1000 members on the steps of the museum booing the C.O.D. and Commish....

I think the beret ban is just another instance of mismanagement at the top. There was nothing wrong with the berets at all and they did not detract from the uniform, as the chief of department had stated. This whole situation is yet another example that FDNY brass is not grounded in reality.

It's just plain DUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! although I can understand concern for the uniform, but this has been an accepted part of the tradition for so long, not to mention the fact that, as Wolfemt stated in a previous threacd, the berets did NOT detract from the rest of the uniform!

i completely agree w/ the city guys.... i fully support their decision to not march =D> =D> ... its only a beret which has been party of their tradition for a long time... i dont think wearing one is going to harm the uniform...

Good for them!!! =D> =D> =D>

Keep up the good work!

I don't know how many of you marched (i was working), but i hear a lot of my FDNY*EMS brothers and sisters, at the urging of one of my lt.'s, "uncovered" their uniform hat at some point and marched a few blocks that way in protest. they either did it in front of the viewing stand or up at 82/5. Good for them if that actually happened.

LOL. Here comes the devils advocate.

While tradition is good for many things and I can't say that I thought wearing those berets in the St. Patty's parade was a big deal I thought of the flip side of the situation. From what I understand the Commish was the one to put out the order however it was the Chief of the Department who discussed it with him.

Secondly, if you are in a uniformed service and you have a policy on uniforms, then it should be followed and enforced. There is not a single other service that would allow devience from their uniform policy and regulations regardless. Is this partly because no one gave a hoot prior, yes. But just as with any organization comes changes in professional beliefs and change is always resisted. Whether its the United States Marine Corps getting a new Commadant, the Army with a new Chief of Staff, a FD with a new Commish, a PD with new Chief or whatever. The parade is for the people and to celebrate the sacrifices of the Irish people, not about what color beret your wearing, etc.

Now the firefighter in me that really doesn't see a big deal, thought that every firefighter in that parade should have been wearing a green beret. What they gonna do? write everyone up? Lateral everyone?

I think they got carried away with the ban. The berets have been part of tradition for a long time, and when first started, they asked for permission to wear them. I definatly agree with banning the other stuff, the beads, scarves, etc, that is definatly a distraction.

OK my 2 cents on this. The only members of the FDNY that should be allowed to wear the Green Beret are the current, former, and retired members of that firehouse only. They have earned that privelege. The rest of the members should be dressed in the proper uniform.

That being said, I fully support those who boycotted the parade and heckled the mayor and Scopuppet.

What a sight it was to see what could have been 750-1000 members on the steps of the museum booing the C.O.D. and Commish....

They should have all pelted them with thier berets. :twisted: