WAS967

Ramapo PO - Heat Stroke

10 posts in this topic

From a friend via facebook:

P.O. Rich Dube of the Ramapo (NY) PD is in the medical ICU at Westchester

County Medical center in Liver failure. Rich suffered heat stroke at the

county SWAT tryouts on 9/2/10. His high body temp (108.5) damaged

Rich's liver. He needs a liver & is on the transplant list. Rich's

...wife Jodi is pregnant with their first child.

Thought it was worth passing on to the forums here.

Wow - 108 degrees!

A reminder that we should look out for ourselves - and for our colleagues.

I wish P.O. Dube all the best - I'm sure he's in very competent hands.

wow. 108.5 is nuts. He is lucky he is alive. Incidents like this happen every year to members of emergency services and we need to be aware for ourselves or others. I hope he gets his transplant

wow. 108.5 is nuts. He is lucky he is alive. Incidents like this happen every year to members of emergency services and we need to be aware for ourselves or others. I hope he gets his transplant

Yes 108.5 he is lucky, and I wish him and his the family the best for a smooth recovery.

I don't know any details of how these tryouts are conducted, but where is the supervision? I am sure someone saw the signs of heat stroke or had the responsibility of overseeing the participants to catch this before this officer collapsed.

Very lucky to be a live after reaching 108.5!!! My thoughts and prayers are with him and his wife.

Just read on another board that a liver was found, and that he was in surgery earlier tonight. Just the first step in a long recovery, but I wish him and his family the best.

Updated info via Facebook:

Just got home from the hospital with some real promising signs, bile production, blood cleaning, and clotting factors! Still a long way to go, but thank God and the donor for a big step forward!

Just curious if they screened for living donors?

you cant live without your liver;). The only way to do a liver transplant from a living person is if they only transplant a total of 2 lobes from the living donor. In this officers case I am willing to bet he needed more than 2 lobes. at a temp of 108.5 there is severe protein denaturation in the body which can be, and is, quite extensive in very little time. I am not taking a jab at you dont get me wrong, but in these cases there is not time to wait for a "chosen" person.

P.0. R. Dube discharged from hospital today. States he eventually wants to return to work. May God keep him safe. Very few get a second chance like this. He's very, very lucky.