Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RWC130

NYPD Communications Technician (Closing 9/21/10)

5 posts in this topic

Police Communications Technician

Police Communications Technicians are assigned to the Department's Communications Division as 911 emergency operators. They serve as a radio dispatcher of police resources and perform all other clerical and administrative duties related to the provision of emergency service. Police Communications Technicians are required to work shifts, including evenings or night tours and/or Saturdays, Sundays and holidays. There is per-shift pay as well as night shift pay differential.

Qualifications:

Four year high school diploma or its educational equivalent. One year full time paid experience performing clerical duties; or public contact work requiring obtaining information; or 30 college credits or two years active military duty with honorable discharge.

Salary: $32,710 and can increase to $44,379.

New York City residency is required within 90 days of appointment.

Entry into higher level positions, other than through promotional exams, depends on the applicant's prior training, education and experience and the job requirements for the position.

Due to the current civil service list in this title we are not accepting resumes at this time. The filing period for the next Police Communications Technician exam is September 1, 2010 through September 21, 2010. The exam is scheduled for January 29, 2011.

Please visit the NYC Department of Citywide Administrative Services'

website at: www.nyc.gov/dcas for further information.

For anyone who wants to come over to my job, this is a stepping stone.

For anyone who wants to come over to my job, this is a stepping stone.

Are you saying this because you're a supervisor? Or because Fire dispatcher is considered superior to Police dispatcher in NYC? Just curious because in my town police disp, fire disp, and call takers all rotate around.

I'm saying it because we pay better. The conditions they work in are lousy, but then again so are mine. You can't drive into work, so public transportation is a must. People get ordered for overtime almost every day. A number of the people that work there are real pieces of work. But, if you have experience in the fire service, just apply for my job.

PS, I'd like to think we're better respected, and in some ways superior. But that would be very arrogant of me to say so.

FDNY dispatch has alot of history, traditions and pride in what they do. Plus if your into the fire service side of things why wouldnt you want to move there? JMO.