Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

FDNY Surplus trucks

9 posts in this topic

I am looking to purchase a surplus truck from fdny to tunker with. I also know a Vol fire house looking to purchase rescue company box to refurb and replace on a new seagrave. I am looking to find someone in the shops to talk too. I have talked to the surplus people and they were not alot of help. Thanks Todd

Try this:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/auctions/auctions.shtml

NYC Citywide Administrative Services

Auctions & City Surplus

Also, you might want to try and contact someone at the FDNY

Fleet Repair Shop in Queens.

I am sure one gov't agency to another they will help you.

One of the Dutchess County, NY Fire Department's have an old FDNY Rescue.

Lots of former FDNY Engines and Tower Ladders all over.

GOOD LUCK!

Thanks for the info. I called the department in upstate tonight that you talked about and got some info and a person to call tomorrow, If anyone else has anymore info that can help us please post, Thanks Todd Stone Roanoke Fire-EMS Virginia.

It is very scary how easy it is for people to purchase used fire apparatus and emergency vehicles. I notice that many out of service equipment in ny have no plates. This past Saturday I was admiring two used aerials at a 9/11 car show and I asked the private owners if they had plates...of course not! The police just wave when we pass by.

Imagine what could happen if a terrorist got the same treatment from police. Not good!

You have to be here to buy. We 'rarely' have stuff for auction. We have spares from 93 floating around. I think they are bought in lots as well.

What do you think we should do?? send our old trucks the the junk yard for scrap?? Or keep them to show our history? Maybe you should do a back ground check before you puechase surplus equipment?? About the plates, that alone will not stop someone with the idea to hurt others!!. thanks to the post, but i am looking for info on used FDNY Surplus trucks and the people that have purchased one before. Todd

What do you think we should do?? send our old trucks the the junk yard for scrap?? Or keep them to show our history? Maybe you should do a back ground check before you puechase surplus equipment?? About the plates, that alone will not stop someone with the idea to hurt others!!. thanks to the post, but i am looking for info on used FDNY Surplus trucks and the people that have purchased one before. Todd

Call Jere Lady of Lady & Taylor Body Shop / Pennsylvania Fire Apparatus in Gettysburg, PA. He has refurbished many ex-FDNY rigs. He has done a lot of ex-FDNY Century Cab LaFrance and CF Mack refurb/conversions. His work is second to none and I'm sure that he can advise you on the process and would love your department's business if you go through with it. Some examples below of equipment that in some way evolved from ex-FDNY units. Credit to original photographers.

The LaFrance was FDNY E-61 until 1989 I believe. The Green Mack has an FDNY cab on it. The Squad may or may not have FDNY parts in it, but it's a great example of a complex piece of apparatus was created out of an old CF Mack.

post-163-036305100 1284573664.jpg

post-163-051783300 1284573673.jpg

post-163-059816200 1284573688.jpg

Edited by mfc2257

Arlington FD in Dutchess has a used rescue from FDNY and it is the biggest POS I have ever seen and ridden in. Remember FDNY runs their rigs till they are Dead and then some in some of the worst conditions. You would probably be better off getting a used rig from a dept that doesn't put their rigs to the demands of FDNY.

And to your post what is wrong with the idea of keeping Fire Apparatus out of private hands. UPS does not sell any trucks that are used. They are all scraped and recycled due to the ease of passing security checkpoints with their vehicles.

Yes you are right, I have been to a few auctions at the navy yard and most of the trucks coming out of there are POS.The rescue in arlington Ny i am not sure what all was done with it. We are looking to take a FDNY Rescue box (stainless steele) have it refurbed and then placed onto a Seagrave. If done right it would work fine. Remember we only want the box. Its hard to find a box used like that, We are looking for a tandum rear axle style box. I have never seen a used one other then in FDNY. This is a long shot for our department but we are going to look into it anyway. And if i can find a old FDNY Engine company along the way i may purchase it to have something to tinker with out in my garage. The wife complains all the time why did i build my garage so big,,, lol maybe she will find out soon!!! lol. thanks for the post keep them coming. Todd