Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PFDRes47cue

Irvington Missing Person - 10/1/2010

14 posts in this topic

Does anyone know what ended up happening with the missing person search? Was the person found? Was a car found submerged? Thanks for any info...

<BR>Does anyone know what ended up happening with the missing person search? Was the person found? Was a car found submerged? Thanks for any info...<BR>

He was located this morning: Missing SH Man Found

Edited by KMG_TFD

What kind of "search dogs" were they? The article references not putting your faith in dogs but there are a lot of variables to this kind of search with K-9 assets.

What kind of "search dogs" were they? The article references not putting your faith in dogs but there are a lot of variables to this kind of search with K-9 assets.

First the article states they are rescue dogs then later states as you mentioned above as search dogs.

Not putting faith in the dogs is a pretty blunt statement. The person could have tracked into the water and emerged further down shore explaining why the dogs "tracked" straight to the water. A lot of variables are in play and for a professional to make a statement like that to the press does not put them in a very professional light themselves.

I am not speaking for the Chief, but maybe the operators / handlers of the " dog " ( what ever it might be ), stated that the victem did indeed go into the the water and that was for sure... yes, they are a GREAT, resource, but you have to assume they are not 100%.. you have to keep an open mind and try ever option...

First the article states they are rescue dogs then later states as you mentioned above as search dogs.

Outside of some Portugese Water Dogs being trained as lifeguards, what dogs are used for "rescue" and not the "search" part of "search and rescue".

I am not speaking for the Chief, but maybe the operators / handlers of the " dog " ( what ever it might be ), stated that the victem did indeed go into the the water and that was for sure... yes, they are a GREAT, resource, but you have to assume they are not 100%.. you have to keep an open mind and try ever option...

I bring this up because there are different techniques employed by dogs and only bloodhounds actually follow the individual scent of a person and not other means to track such as crushed cover, etc. Given the wind and rain I'm not surprised that a patrol dog (if it was the MTA K-9) didn't have a lot of success. For that matter, given the weather I'm not even sure a bloodhound would be successful.

Is the special operations unit referenced the County Technical Rescue Team? Was it elements of that team who were used for the search? Do they have search dogs on that team?

Is the special operations unit referenced the County Technical Rescue Team? Yes.

Was it elements of that team who were used for the search? If by elements you mean people, then yes.

Do they have search dogs on that team? Not to my knowledge.

Is the special operations unit referenced the County Technical Rescue Team? Yes.

Was it elements of that team who were used for the search? If by elements you mean people, then yes.

Do they have search dogs on that team? Not to my knowledge.

Thanks for the info. Do you know who's dogs were involved?

The K-9 that was utilized was from MTA-PD, the victims car was approx. 175 ft from the edge of the water. The K-9 tracked from the victims car right to the water and jumped into the water. This did happen during the heavy winds, the rain didn't start until the divers were in the water. WCTRT were requested for extra man power and they are trained in wilderness serach and rescue.

I believe the WCTRT was called for manpower to assist in the large area search. Members of the team are trained in wilderness search and rescue.