Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
61MACKBR1

Yonkers FD Compac Rigs (JUNK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

8 posts in this topic

Actually, this is the actual REFURBED 1971 ALF Old Engine 2 that Compac/Continential Refurbed for Yonkers back in the 1980's (What HUNKS OF JUNK these Rigs were)

http://nycfire.net/messar/gallery/apparatus/nyks312

Take a look at this HOPELESS hunk of junk and wonder if it would hold up today !! (I think not)

Thank goodness Commish Kiernan and Commish Fitzpatrick had/have the forthsight to see what the men who serve our city well need to have !!!

That's a fire engine???

looks like a school bus crossed with a mail truck

I recall some time around 1980.There was a multiple alarm fire on Warburton Ave. A Compac rig caught on fire while operating at the box. That was some sight. #-o

In the photo of the opening page. Engine 310, in the back ground, is a Continental Compac Rig.

I believe back then, Engine 310, 313, 311, 312 and 314 all were running with those Continential Compac Rigs, with the West Side using mostly the Mack CF's. Of the 5 Compac Rigs, I was the Refurbed Engine 305 (Old ALF Engine 2). Eventually, I believe these Compac Rigs were replaced by those MackCF's that were replaced on the West Side and moved to the East Side. In addition, there was that Old Tiller that was refurbed into a Compac Tiller (Ladder 69), as well

GOT TO DRIVE MOST OF THE CONTINENTIAL COMPAC RIGS IN PORT CHESTER ON THE WAY TO YONKERS. PORT CHESTER WAS REPLACING THERE B MODEL MACK ENG 62 AT THAT TIME. NO WATER AND NO HOSE OR EQMENT. VERY LIGHT IN FRONTEND, POOR WELDING AND SLOPPY WORKMENSHIP REAL CLASS A JUNK! WE REPLACED THE B WITH A CF MACK THAT IS STILL IN USE.