Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alpinerunner

Firefighter Accused Of Showing Video of Crash Victim Around Town

7 posts in this topic

Firefighter Accused Of Showing Video Of Crash Victim Around Town

WSBTV.com

October 19, 2010

A local family said they are reeling after finding out that a local firefighter is accused of videotaping their daughter’s body at the scene of an accident and then showing it around town.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/25437031/detail.html

Good article to discuss. I see firefighters and EMS take pictures of accident scenes all the time. However, I think it's safe to say that the line gets drawn when a victim is photographed.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/25437031/detail.html

Good article to discuss. I see firefighters and EMS take pictures of accident scenes all the time. However, I think it's safe to say that the line gets drawn when a victim is photographed.

The guy was canned for doing it.

http://www.11alive.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=160263&catid=3

I'm not going to lie, I have done this myself, Nothing with a patient in it.. That's just dumb. I take picture of car acidents to show the Doctor's in the ER the MOI.. and to be alittle buffy, but once you take a picture of a patient, or patients body.. that's were the line has to be drawn.... Does anyone here think taking pictures of MVA's a violation of HIPPA?

If there is no identifing markes or way of identifing the patient I don't see a problem with taking pics of the car and scene. As far as patient care its good practice not to show it. I could be wrong but once againg if there is no identifing means in the pic I don't think that's issue in reality. But I am speaking as far as in house wise training and such the view to the public should be curbed look at some of the stuff the news puts on.

There is a fine line between taking pictures or video of a wrecked car, etc. However you DO NOT take pictures of a patient especially a dead patient. It is disrespectful to the dead and to the family/friends of the deceased. Being a "buff" and taking pictures at a scene is fine...including a patient or dead body changes you from a "buff" to "disturbed" If you want to take pictures of deceased people, you have two options, become a serial killer and photograph your crimes or apply for a job with the Medical Examiner. Would you want yourself, or child photographed when dead?

Outside of agency specific rules regarding photography, there is nothing preventing you from taking photos of anything plainly visible to the public. Body present or not, shoot away if its out in the street. Just be aware of agency rules if you do it on duty.

As for any moral issues with the potos, look up Arthur Fellig. One of the great photo journalists and his motives were primarily to make money.

There is no assumption of privacy for an incident that occurs in public therefor I believe (theoretically) that HIPPA does not apply.