Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RescueKujo

Hemet Firefighter Tackles Armed Patient

4 posts in this topic

When Steve Wilcox and the crew from the Hemet Fire Department rolled up to the mobile home on Sept. 20, it seemed like this would be just another ordinary call for one of the busiest fire departments in the area.

Dispatch had informed them that inside, there was a woman who had taken too many pills and was overdosing. There was no immediate danger and no weapons reported when the 911 call came in.

Moments later, Wilcox was reminded that no matter how ordinary a call might seem, anything can happen.

The firefighter, who has been with the HFD for just over a year, became trapped in a room with the patient who suddenly brandished a gun toward the four firemen who were there to assist her. Wilcox, without thinking, jumped on her, preventing her from potentially discharging the loaded firearm as the others escaped the room before he was finally able to do so himself.

Fire-Rescue Magazine Story

My company has policies regarding standing back for crew safety. What are yours?

Fire-Rescue Magazine Story

My company has policies regarding standing back for crew safety. What are yours?

Nice work by FF Wilcox! His heroic act potentially saved the his life and the lives of the other three FF's. It is important to always be on alert, not to the point of being paranoid, but just to the point where you accept that any incident can take a turn for the worst at any moment and to watch for the warning signs. You can never trust patients, especially overdose ones. They can be the nicest person in the world but the pills can turn them into a "monster." Good work brother!

As far as my VAC's policy for crew safety, We are not to enter a scene that is threatening to the crew. However, as far as standing back, this is good but obviously someone has to make patient contact eventually. Also, In my area 99.9% of the time, one or two police officers are with the patient the entire time you are until your leave the scene. However, I notice that up in St. Lawrence County where I go for school, EMS calls do not have police present unless the call is for an assault, shooting, stabbing, or suspicion of violence. In villages that have their own law enforcement, Police will respond to EMS calls but this is not true out of the village. The Police can be asked to respond but this can often take time since this request is usually in state police jurisdiction.

Stay safe everyone!

Wilcox, without thinking, jumped on her, preventing her from potentially discharging the loaded firearm as the others escaped the room before he was finally able to do so himself.

Uggh, Guys, A little help.... Guys..... Guys...... Hey, Where the hell did everyone go ? What the..... Damnit......

Uggh, Guys, A little help.... Guys..... Guys...... Hey, Where the hell did everyone go ? What the..... Damnit......

Was thinking the same thing, while this guy had brass ones, the others ran out and didn't come back, even after he subdued her...............:rolleyes: