Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
27east

EMD Question

5 posts in this topic

if the 911 call is answered by PD (VAC in question is a 60 primary dispatch agency) and then transfered to a "paramedic" as they said, I'm assuming that it is the transfer to EMD. After the questions are asked, then the dispatch is made, correct?

Ideally the initial information (location verification, nature, etc) should be gathered and then passed to a second dispatcher who dispatches the call while the first continues with the EMD questions. It wouldn't be a good idea to continue to the EMD questions before getting responders on thier way. So if the person is a lone dispatcher, they should put the person on "hold" and fire off the dispatch, then come back and give instructions.

A lot of places have call takers who are connected to a common terminal with a 911 dispatcher. Some of them have been so advanced that the dispatcher can be on the other side of the dispatch center and still see what is going on. While the call taker is beginning the EMD questions, he/she can type the situation and responses to the questions; the dispatcher then, in turn, reads the screen, hits out the tones for the appropriate agency, and gives the nature of the call. A good call taker will stay on the line with the caller until the emergency responders arrive.

As for lone dispatching, is there an automated system out there so that the call taker does not have to put the caller on hold so he/she can do dispatching?

There is one agency/system (I forget where) that in the last year or so switched to a computerized voice that dispatches the units and gives the information. Dispatchers still take the signals and calls, but the dispatch and information is given by a computerized voice. I'll have to see if I can find the information.

Remember, there are 2 parts to EMD. The first part gets the person, place and naure. After the first few questions a response determinate is recommended. If it is low priority and it does not appear prearrival instructions are going to be given. The call will be placed on hold and the units dispatched. Then back to the caller. If it looks like it's going to prearrival instructions, another dispatcher will handle the dispatch while the original completes the prearrival instructions.