Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Can Steel Studs Rust?

8 posts in this topic

I was just watching an episode of "Holmes On Homes", and it featured rusting steel studs in residential framing. The show is basically about contractors who screw people over and Mike Holmes comes to their rescue, exposes the bad and fixes it.

So this got me thinking, can steel studs actually rust, and eventually cause structural comprimise? I know these are used mostly in commercial application, but with some of the lightweight construction and maybe throw in a slow water leak over time?

The steel studs used in commercial and occasionally residential applications are made from galvanized steel. Anywhere its been cut or drilled there is eventually going to be some corrosion, but not enough to significantly weaken the structure. Any contractor can use the wrong product and screw the homeowner, however if they use the right stuff you're fine.

x635 likes this

Buildings in NYC that are 100 years old have steel in them and not one has collapsed from corrosion yet.

x635 likes this

Rust is nothing more than the oxidation side of an oxidation-reduction reaction. Oxidation-Reduction reactions occur between all materials; while it is theoretically possible for steel to oxidize, as posted above, that should take a very, very long time if the steel is manufactured correctly and not exposed to extreme environments. Think excessive road salt.

not exactly, bvfdjc. While rust is a result of simple oxidation there's a monumental difference between the end result of Aluminum oxidizing and steel rusting. Steel as a rule does not hold up well to oxidation, hence the development of processes like Galvanization and the multitude of stainless steels and other alloys.

x635 likes this

not exactly, bvfdjc. While rust is a result of simple oxidation there's a monumental difference between the end result of Aluminum oxidizing and steel rusting. Steel as a rule does not hold up well to oxidation, hence the development of processes like Galvanization and the multitude of stainless steels and other alloys.

I was only referring to the reaction itself, not the principles behind the steel. But thank you for that information.

i've seen the bottoms of steel studs and their bottom plate rotted through. They were in a moist environment. The bottom plate was attached to a concrete floor.

x635 likes this

I was just watching an episode of "Holmes On Homes", and it featured rusting steel studs in residential framing. The show is basically about contractors who screw people over and Mike Holmes comes to their rescue, exposes the bad and fixes it.

So this got me thinking, can steel studs actually rust, and eventually cause structural comprimise? I know these are used mostly in commercial application, but with some of the lightweight construction and maybe throw in a slow water leak over time?

I've seen steel studs used a lot in residential applications, however, not in a bearing wall. While they certainly can and do corrode, I've never seen an example of this being in a position to cause structural weakness. It wouldn't surprise me though, I'm sure it happens someplace.

x635 likes this