Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Dodge Or Ram?

5 posts in this topic

OK, I ask because everything I read contradicts itself.

Is Dodge a different brand then Ram now? I notice no affiliation between the two, and Ram's are starting to open up their own dealerships.

Does this have anything to do with their bailout or buyout of Chrysler?

Its still a Dodge, just like they are marketing ans advertising RAM Trucks more this way to compete with Ford Trucks and Chevy.

Now on the other hand Sterling, which is a Dalmer Chrysler brand, has its own line like GMC Trucks for GM Corp. Sterling's "public" line are very similar in appearance to Rams.

RAM is the only division of Dodge making any money. They are protecting the money making operation from the money losing operation.

Edited by bvfdjc316

Its still a Dodge, just like they are marketing ans advertising RAM Trucks more this way to compete with Ford Trucks and Chevy.

Now on the other hand Sterling, which is a Dalmer Chrysler brand, has its own line like GMC Trucks for GM Corp. Sterling's "public" line are very similar in appearance to Rams.

Sterling has been out of business for a while, but I know exactly what you are talking about. Sterling used to be Ford's Heavy Duty truck line until bought by Daimler Chyrsler when they were gobbling up everything like Thomas School Bus, American Lafrance and subsequent companies, etc.

Just did some research, looks like Ram Trucks are going to be a completly seperate line from Dodge. They want Ram to be loosely affiliated with Dodge and keep it's heritage(the emblem-and the repeat customers), but they are trying to rebrand Dodge as a "hip, trendy, and cool" brand.

The Dodge Dakota also went over to Ram Trucks, and will be discontinued (I had that truck, different model years, for several years-thanks Hunter B!) and loved it. Apparatently it will be remarketed as the Ram Rampage.

Should have done my homework, but I think this is general interest so I posted.

Ram is still very much a Dodge product but marketed as its own line.

Sterling was a division of Daimler Trucks North America. Daimler (think Mercedes) purchased Ford's heavy truck division (think AeroMax and L-9000 chassis) in the 1990's and created the Sterling name so that the production of the existing lines could continue even though they didn't have the right to badge them as Fords. With regard to Chrysler, Daimler sold its interest in Chrysler some two years ago and Daimler-Chrysler no longer exists. The vehicle that appears to be a RAM sold with the Sterling branding is in fact just a rebadged RAM 4500 or 5500. It could be ordered until 2009 under the Sterling Bullet moniker when DTNA decided to discontinue all production of Sterling products including their medium duty and heavy duty over the road chassis which was an evolution of the Ford Heavy Truck line. As of 2010 production of all Sterling products had ceased.

DTNA continues to produce several profitable and popular lines of commercial equipment including Detroit Diesel (although the marine division was sold to become MTU) Freightliner, Western Star, and Thomas Buses.

Edited by mfc2257