Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PCFD ENG58

2011 Career Fire Academy class [Westchester]

36 posts in this topic

No need for an apology, Not to sound like a kiss a** but i look up to you career guys, i have the up-most respect for you guys. I hope to one day be in a career dept.

Merry Christmas!

Edited by 99subi

If I was unclear in my post I am sorry, I am not saying that they are "just" drivers as I stated they perform a very important task, but in my experiance I think that most Career Firefighters would rather be doing the day to day operations. This may not be true of all Career Firefighters, but the vast majority of those who I know, that work in jobs where they are chauffers, always say they wish they could do more. The advice I have heard many times is to try to get to the busiest job you can get to because there is more room to advance and try diffrent things. And FYI the "just" was written like that because we all know that in a lot of cases those "Drivers" are doing a hell of a lot more then driving and in some/many cases are setting the pump, streaching a line, and making a search before the volly's even show up.

Raz and efdcapt115 like this

I think that Fireman transfering to these "busy depts" deal more with the work that they get, ie I know people who have transfered to Hartsdale and Greenville because they are looking to be more then a Driver. I think depts like Hartsdale, Greenville, Eastchester, Fairview, and Scarsdale attract transfers because they are actually doing the day to day operations as oppsose to "just" driving. If you look at a Depts like Mohegan, Town of Mamaroneck, and Peekskill, most of the time the Firefighter is driving and operating the truck, an important job, but I think most fireman, especualy younger guys would rather be streaching lines, searching, or just investigating the Auto Alarm. Maybe it's just me, I would take any Career Job in a heart beat, but I would perfer to go someplace where I was a rider, not just a driver. Any thoughts, I am always looking for input.

While this may be a factor you are ignoring the biggest factor. Economics. Also I'm sure the career firefighters you are refering to are seeing a lot more action than you think.

LOL. Where to begin...

Last time I checked the professional firefighters in Peekskill, Mohegan, Portchester or wherever when done with their taxes and it asks you what your occupation is all put the same thing: Firefighter. And if anyone wants to use the term "just drivers," you're in one of two groups. The first are those that don't know jack sh*t about what they are actually doing with the current conditions and volunteer response issues or the second which is you actually know what the deal is and are in denial or just really have that much of an issue, jealousy or lack of life that gives a mentality that the big bad wolf is coming and it may cost you something you enjoy doing. Many of the professional firefighters in the departments you speak of all come from the volunteer ranks, with many funny enough serving as line officers with less certifications and qualifications then what they have now and several are highly respected fire instructors in the county and state.

So while I feel the "I'm on your side." Actuality is despite what some want to think the majority of them are dealing with critical staffing and safety issues far exceeding "just driving."

To put this in the simplest terms--All personel that are hired off a civil Sevice list for Firefighters in Westchester County must, by law, recieve a mimium of 229 hours of training, with in 18 months of their employment.Thats what the law states.

A department may "choose" to let them be "just drivers" but they are well qualified, well trained firefighters, and still must recieve 100 hours of training each year, also mandated by the State.