Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Goose

Feds open criminal investigation into holiday blizzard

3 posts in this topic

So here we have it in a nutshell. This whole headline is about, this investigation is about, this whole mud-slinging campaign is about some anonymous guys who talked to the following quoted councilman. And here we have, near the end of the story, a quote from the man who is saying the story is not a story. It's a shaping of the press, a revisionism, to cover up the sloppy and ill prepared administration with a bean counting fetish....not looking at the brewing storm, but looking at the spread sheets and thinking how much more they could squeeze out of a service that has been wrung dry. Lives were lost in the storm. The media, initially focused on the shortcomings of the administration, have fallen for this sensationalist "game changer". It sells papers, that's the business. What happened to "The Buck Stops Here"? How convenient the mayor was so "reluctant to blame" the unions. Out of a job of thousands, a couple of disgruntled employees said some stupid things, and maybe there was a small wildcat slowdown here or there.....and it turns into this. And the mayor and his staff are high-fiving each other in the back rooms of Tamany Hall, having pulled of a "coup" that saves the mayor's impeccable reputation, avoiding getting "Katrina-ed". And at the same time the news coverage shift serves the agenda of keeping the attack and the pressure on public employees' unions.

Halloran said he did not believe the unions were at fault.

"I have said from the beginning that I was talking about some supervisors in Queens and Brooklyn who have a grudge," he said. "It wasn't all the rank and file. And I don't believe it was a union-sanctioned operation."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/01/04/2011-01-04_nyc_blizzard_feds_open_criminal_probe_into_alleged_city_worker_conspiracy_during.html#ixzz1A6hO0jjd

waful likes this

I am not a NYC " go'er " and spend little time down there. I am sure the heavy snow and cars all over the place were part of the blame. I know I saw it here in Croton, people's cars were everywhere and they were not moving fast to get them out of the way. BUT I am sure there is a good bit of truth to some of the claims, and not towards every worker... CBS news tells the story of a 10 man crew hanging out in a Dunkin Donuts for hours, things don't look to good for their side..