Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BFD669

NYPD going digital?

11 posts in this topic

Anyone have info on NYPD going digital? RadioReference has a listing for a P-25 system.

what is the link to this article

Last Updated: January 11, 2011, 12:49 amUS > New York > New York (County) > New York City Police Department (NYPD) Project 25 System

Edited by helicopper
Copyright Infringement

If you go to the RR New York Thread, it talks about the new system on 700Mhz. More than likely its the new Inter-Ops system from the city and for the sate. But I could be mistaken.

From what I gather, the new 700MHz digital system may be an interop system for NYC and other agencies.

Is digital a better system, then conventional radio system.. What makes the difference

Is digital a better system, then conventional radio system.. What makes the difference

As a Buff its sure NOT. You need an expensive radio to recieve it (although some have come down to about $400.00). Programming them could be a nightmare for the person not familiar with new techology. I had to pay to get mine programmed. Plus those digital frequencies are very limited in distance they can recieve. My first experience was when Providence, R.I. Fire and Police went to digital. Even with a special mobile antenna, reception is no where as good as High, Low or Ultra high band.

Also, in my own case, because of my stupidity, if any changes are made to any city, I need to have somebody reprogram it for me EVERY TIME.

I sure miss the days of just reprograming the scanner myself.

Edited by nfd2004

Right now I would be happy if we retired the typewriter first.

There was a plan about 4-5 years ago to reorganize the current frequencies (IIRC the citywide frequencies) to allow the Transit Bureau to join the rest of the department on UHF. Right now the 4 Transit Bureaus operate on VHF, which does make it hard on interoperability at details and events. The newer Vertex Radios in the precincts have the transit frequencies in them but, but are often receive only for some reason. On the other hand transit is still using the old Motorola Sabers, which do not have the citywide frequencies in them. i guess it was only a plan, because 4 frequencies were freed up for Transit, but we were never moved to them.

Even with a special mobile antenna, reception is no where as good as High, Low or Ultra high band.

This is definitely true. I easily get 3 times the range from my VHF pager than I do with my digital handheld.

Was the change delayed to do reception problems? I start having radio problems if I even think about going near the subway. Stations just below the street where still have a cell signal I can't transmit.

Was the change delayed to do reception problems? I start having radio problems if I even think about going near the subway. Stations just below the street where still have a cell signal I can't transmit.

Not sure what held up the change. I know right before the Republican National Convention a lot of work was done on the transit system radio network in 2004. Some of the planning started when Bill Bratton was Chief of the Transit Police in 1990. Over the years, various changes were made to the plans, including the ability for FD and EMS to use their radios underground. Part of the work 2002-2003 involved string new antenna cables through tunnels and additional repeaters. The changes made resulted in little change in capability or quality of the radio network. In fact the new system was rejected by both the NYPD and FDNY. Here is one article from 2007 http://www.correctio...ed-down-to-use/ Not sure what ever happened with this project, if they ran out of funding or just gave up. Either way Transit police radios suck, lots of dead spots, and often are affected by the weather, with rainy days the worst. FD still uses the "relay" method each member with a portable spread out through the underground stations....one on the platform, one member on the stairs, another in the mezzanine, yet another at the booth area, and one at street level depending on how big the station is.

Edited by grumpyff