Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
X2321

Imperial Wok fire in Somers

12 posts in this topic

Nice work Frank!

? About this fire.. Did the ansul system in the kitchen activate? From the looks of it, it don't look like it?

Is that not a manual system? Otherwise it may go off for an unnecessary reason causing a lot of damage

Is that not a manual system? Otherwise it may go off for an unnecessary reason causing a lot of damage

The systems work off both a heat activated, fusable link, or a newer, pressure sensitive hose line, that upon melting, the system recognizes the change in pressure causeing the agent to release. NFPA requires both a pull station, as well as heat activated, activation points.

If the system isn't cleaned, tested and inspected on a regular basis, a buildup of grease and dust can coat the links/line, causing the system to not activate, or activate at a much later point in the event of a fire.

Very well , the fusable links are set up at mainly 360 and 450 degrees and I was just wondering. Also if a fire system were to discharge it would not. Cause any damage there is a wet chemical clean agent in the tanks the nfpa made the change from dry powder systems to ease the damage they were causing .. If you were to have a fire the system would trip and automatically shut of the gas line and electric if wired to stop the spread of the fire and dump the chemical which leave a wet look,

this was a sprinklered building. fire was in the cockloft above the sprinklers so they had no effect. heads were activated during fire attack and the os&y had to be shut down to improve visibility as ceilings were being pulled to expose fire and stop the spread in the cockloft.

As someone who was there, I can tell you that the sprinkler system in the kitchen was working. There also really wasn't much fire damage in the kitchen. It seems like the fire originated somewhere behind the stoves, and progressed into the walls and to the cockloft. There was significant damage to the roof in the C/D corner, which given the two large duct fans right above the stove, presented a pretty good collapse hazard.

Ok cool thanks cause I saw the article on lohud and I was just wondering cause it said it started in a stove thanks for the responses

I have never been there, and its hard to really tell from the pictures, but ? what was the structure ? steel or wood ? is the siding T 1 11 or metal??

I have never been there, and its hard to really tell from the pictures, but ? what was the structure ? steel or wood ? is the siding T 1 11 or metal??

The structure was wood, as well as the siding. Truss roof, with parapets. There was also some masonry out front, although I'm not sure if it is structural or cosmetic.