Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve

$1000.00 Tax Credit

8 posts in this topic

I heard that Sen. Chuck Schumer was at an Elmsford Fire House earlier today He was there to hold a news conference pushing the $1000,00 tax credit. =D>

I believe that is a step in the right direction to encourage and keep people volunteering.

I saw some type of hoopla at the house on 119 Friday morning around 1100. Nothing on local news although CBS had a van there.

I know we clsoed the previous thred but does anybody know how we can get behind this

I have an opinion on this matter but I will probably get spoken to because I don't agree with this type of legislation, Somebody will think it is negative or take offense. I remember when people volunteered without compensation, now every time you turn around ,there is new plan trying to get passed to pay volunteers,

ie... Pension plans, Tax breaks,medical benefits etc... [-( :roll:

just my opinion.

In a town in CT the Volunteer FD/AMB got a town tax break depending how active & how long you were a volunteer. (I believe $250-$1000/year) Then The Federal Goverment made the volunteers declare it as income and the town had to send out w-2's to the volunteers.

PBVPM I agree with you I do not do what I do to make money but if someone is initiating this then we should go along with it. But the $1000 is not going to make or break anyone. I do believe that offering Medical benefits to all volunteers should be offered instead of this tax credit.

Do you have to be an active member or just a name on the rolls ?

anybody know about this ?

I have an opinion on this matter but I will probably get spoken to because I don't agree with this type of legislation, Somebody will think it is negative or take offense. I remember when people volunteered without compensation,  now every time you turn  around ,there is new plan trying to get passed to pay volunteers,

ie... Pension plans, Tax breaks,medical benefits etc... [-(  :roll:

just my opinion.

As I said in a previous post, I don't think $1000.00 is a big deal. Back when gas was $0.35 a gallon and the rest of the cost of living was reasonable, maybe it would be a problem. BUT when people are leaving in droves cause they can't afford to live in any given area, perhaps a tax break is a good idea. It's not meant to give anyone a salary, it's being proposed as a recruitment and retention device. I joined my department in 1963 when it didn't cost an arm and a leg just to own and operate a damn automobile.