Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest DADAY

Brewster Hose Reel

15 posts in this topic

As I was speaking with x635 the other eveining, looking out for falling trees, and slick spots in the snow. We were talking about BFD and how the have a hose reel truck.

Just curious if any other departments have them and how they feel about them.

Brewsters is old and being remounted from what i hear.

Union Vale up in Dutchess has one as well, or had. This was a while ago.

As I was speaking with x635 the other eveining, looking out for falling trees, and slick spots in the snow. We were talking about BFD and how the have a hose reel truck.

Just curious if any other departments have them and how they feel about them.

Brewsters is old and being remounted from what i hear.

LOL! I think that was just 648 looking for a snowball fight! He's lucky we got cancelled!

I think the hose reel idea is a cool, labor saving one. I think it is obsolete for the most part though, as they really don't fit into operations well and take up a large amount of space.

I'd love to see/post some good photos of the hosereel unit!

Engine 145 from Chappaqua has a 3in hose reel. It's an early '80's short wheelbase Mack.

Isn't there an engine from Pleasantville with one...an old ALF?

Hey Daday,

Brewster has a seperate vehical for this right? If I remember right this is a pickup type truck with 2 reels of 5" hose. How much hose dose this truck actually carry?

Yes its a seperate vehicle, 11-8-1, i belive its a ford. And I will find out just how much hose as soon as I can.

Nop Pleasantville doesn't have one you are probably thinking of Chappaqua

Brewster's rig is bigger than a pickup. It is a 1978 Ford F-750 with Oren Body Work.

yup...my mistake...I saw all the rigs at a M/A call ang got a little mixed up, P'Ville.

We (Chappaqua) do have a hose reel for our 3" hose on E145. It holds 2000' of 3" inch hose. The great thing about it is easy pick up. If the engine had a traditional instead of the reel we would be able to get more hose on it. But if you think about it, what pressures do you need to push a sufficient fire flow through 2,000' of 3" hose? Hence our move away from lots of 3" to lots of 5".

We have never tried putting the 5" on the reel as the couplings are huge. My guess is it would only hold 300-500 feet.

I have heard that 5" reels exist but have never seen one.

I too have heard of 5in hose reels, but if I recall, the weight of one forces you to a tandem axle and creates a boatload of other problems that make them difficult for typicle suburban applications....

On the other hand, this link is to a rig that we used while I was in college. It carried 5000+ feet of 5in and performed many other support duties. It had a large generator, sump pumps, floating pumps, aux lighting, etc.... It was basically a good support unit for major structure fires OR poor weather. It also had a massive trailer hitch and pulled the county hazmat trailer.

http://gettysburgfd.com/wagon1.html

BFD has 5" on the hose reel, and as son as x635 get in gear we will have some good pictures of it.

Come on seth any time doors are always open.

Well 11-8-1 is out of service, is it dead or will it return?