Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
batt2

Honoring a late FDNY Dispatcher

9 posts in this topic

He was the senior Supervising Dispatcher in the city at the time of his passing. He voluntarily demoted himself from Chief Dispatcher to Supervisor in 2002 to better provide for his family. I had the opportunity and pleasure to work with, and for Dennis for a number of years up in the Bronx. In addition to the street renaming, a Yankee jersey, Number 22 is hanging up on the wall of the Bronx CO, and his dispatcher number will be officially retired tomorrow as well. I learned more about being a boss by watching him than I ever have, and learned a lot about the Bronx in a few short years. We could throw out a location that we weren't sure of, and he could give us the Box number and assignment like it was second nature. Hey Doc!!! Mosholu Parkway just north of Gun Hill??? Box 8992, 79 Engine, 37 Truck, and the 52's. As The former Dispatcher "Tree Tree Oh, K" now, One Two Six would say, "He was the computer before there was a computer." He is truly missed by his friends, family and colleagues. I think the changes that have been going on in the job today would break his heart. RIP, DOC, you were one of a kind. And to quote him, channeling Vincent La Guardia Gambini, "And I'm done with this one!!!!"

Jimmy JBE Raftery

Supervising Dispatcher #47

FDNY Manhattan/Citywide Operations

Bronx Alumni 1997-98, 2002-2004, 2005-2009

Edited by JBE
batt2, wraftery, dadbo46 and 1 other like this

Great eulogies,guys. Another of Dennis's accomplishments: He was a member of FDNY Emerald Society PIPES AND DRUMS.

Just to add to that, Chief, he was the only non-firefighter member of the band.

I was just a small part in this. Once I knew it was a done deal with the comm board and the city council, I handed the ball off to Beef, Bill, and the rest of the crew on 180.

bronxfireradio likes this

Turned out to be a great day with a great turnout!!! It is an honor to work with the guys in the Bronx CO....

Great tribute to a devoted dispatcher. It is safe to say he saved lives by being so good at his job. Two thumbs up !