Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

You Have The Nerve To Talk About Safety?

10 posts in this topic

I would just like to quickly vent about an issue.

I see many people on here venting about certain safety issues, and that's cool. But I ask how come a MAJOR safety issue, one that kills several firefighters each year, is often overlooked or not taken seriously?

I'm talking about Firefighter fitness. Whether it is cardiac health, endurance, strength, proper diet and nutrition or any other fitness component that may be critical in saving your or someone elses life one day, how come it is not take seriously?

Many people can say "Oh, we have a gym in the firehouse", but how many people actually use it, or use it properly and regularly? Is the gym set up properly, in a nice location, and does it have all the proper equipment for a entire workout routine?

How many volly fire departments have physical fitness requirments for interior structural firefighters? How many career departments do regular PT each day?How come we do not have CPAT in Westchester for an entry agility? Once you pass the intial agility, why are you done then? How many departments make trainers, mentors, or nutritionists regularly available? How many departments emphasize healthy choices at their communal mealtimes? In addition to the physicals, how many departments have a TRUE stress test component to their physical?

It stuns me how departments are so gung-ho about "yearly physicals", but do NOTHING to contribute to that firefighters health year around.

Health and safety go hand and hand!!!! THIS GOES FOR EMS TOO!!!

very well said x635 !! =D> =D>

Hear, hear x635.....

As one who was fortunate enough to recieve only a wake-up call from my ticker, I couldn't agree more. I'm not in real bad shape though I'm not winning any beauty contest either.

Anyone in emergency services is cheating at solitare if they aren't paying attention to what their body is telling them. From my own experience I knew for months that things weren't right. I just ignored them, stupidly hoping they'd go away. Because I was just too lazy to change my lifestyle. Right up to the time I climbed into the bed at the ER I was in denial.

It's the denial that's killing us.

EXCELLENT post, x635! This really seems (judging by the ever increasing number of LODD's resultant of Cardiac problems) to be a MAJOR problem. We don't have a gym in either of our houses and I doubt with the expansion of station 2 you'll see one either. Instead, our members can join about any of the local gyms and as long as they use it often and properly enough, the District covers the cost. This is a good way to do it cause they have professionals who can work out a viable schedule.

Firefighters should be role-models for fitness, as should cops and EMT/EMT-P's.

This job demands a lot from your body. You keep your apparatus in tip-top shape, why not yourself??? It's hard, and time consuming, but isn't this job in general?

WHY IS THERE NOT A STANDARD???

Firefighters should be role-models for fitness, as should cops and EMT/EMT-P's.

You mean I shouldn't be seen on the couch at LVAC covered in powdered sugar from the dozen donut I just scarfed down then washed under with a gallon of espresso? Damn. I knew I was doing something wrong.

Just remember that fat people can be more fit than skinny people sometimes. Being thin has nothing to do with a persons level of physical fitness.

nobody said anything about thin.....they said physically fit, it doesnt mean you have to be thin.

Read before you type please

=D> Outstanding!

Physical fitness is the "unspoken" safety problem in the fire service. Recently a member of a department passed away. The thing that shocked everyone in attendance is that this guy was an interior firefighter and instructor...and weighed over 400 lbs. In the volunteer fire service we don't want to chase our members away by hurting thier feelings - does that mean that it is OK to die on the fire ground instead? That's acceptable? Not to me its not.

I agree with cfd320 on the safety/health in the Fire Service. You see fireifghters and EMT's all over the nation with health problems related to a weight problem. Not only does it cause obesity, it causes: high bp, high chloesterol, pulmonary problems u name it!! I myself have put a few pounds on in recent years, and believe me it takes a toll.. Not only does it not look good, it feels horrible too. Secondary problems would be problems with your knees, back etc. We need to implement a program to ensure our firefighters/emt's are healthy. The last thing we want is to lose more of our brothers or sisters...