Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
callen240

10 year old Cert. Expired, questions.

6 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum and hope that this is being posted in the right area. Help me out if it's not. I have a few questions regarding recertification and stuff like that. MY NYS Paramedic cert expired about 10 years ago when I got hired and took my current job with the NYPD.(PO) I am considering getting back into EMS b/c I love it and miss it a lot. Would I have to take the BLS course all over again and then the EMT-P course? Or can I challenge( I would do terrible btw)? I have no idea what my emt # was and lost all of my documents b/c I have since moves several times. I forgot a whole lot since then and I know it would be best to start all over bc so much has changed, but I just want to know my options. A little about me, I started with Metro North Ambulance (remember those purple buses lol) and finished doing mostly transports as a medic with Transcare the occasional emergency job sometimes. I took my basic at OLM hospital and my medic at WCC. Please be gentle on the new guy. Flame suit on. Thanks,

Q: I was certified many years ago as an EMT in the State of New York but my certification has long since expired. Do I have to enroll in an EMT-Basic original course in order to recertify or am I eligible for an EMT-Basic challenge refresher course?

A: You are eligible for an EMT-Basic challenge refresher course. Once certified in New York State as a CFR/EMT/AEMT, you are always eligible for a challenge refresher course at or below the highest level of EMS provider certification you once held. Please note that your certification number that was issued to you when you were first certified as an EMS provider in the State of New York remains your EMS identification/certification number for life.

found on the NYS EMS website

So you dont have to challenge out as a medic, but you can challenge out as a tech instead, then go through medic school again if you want. I took my refresher at OLM aka Montefiore north, now. Still a great program and Mike Moculsk runs the EMS programs there.

You might be able to call the Troy office and give them your social and dob and they should be able to pull your number for you.

Edited by nycemt326

Cool. Thanks for helping me out. How hard is it to get hired as a EMT? I remeber it being pretty easy 10 years ago. Has anything changed? Are there any companies to stay away from? How would I get involved with 911? Thanks again

Cool. Thanks for helping me out. How hard is it to get hired as a EMT? I remeber it being pretty easy 10 years ago. Has anything changed? Are there any companies to stay away from? How would I get involved with 911? Thanks again

No problem. Getting hired? Easy. Everyone is looking for EMTs. The only thing that has changed is the faces and protocols, same old BS is still around. As for companies to avoid, Citywide, Hunter, First Response. If you are looking to get back into 911, Transcare is your best option. Seniorcare just got 31 eddie and sam out of brooklyn hospital, but with 10 years out of the game, they might not hire you immediately for 911 and put you just in transports.

Monte North usually runs 2 classes a year, one started January. Putnam County just started an original/refresh class about 3 weeks ago. You may need to wait until the summer/fall to get a class.

Q: I was certified many years ago as an EMT in the State of New York but my certification has long since expired. Do I have to enroll in an EMT-Basic original course in order to recertify or am I eligible for an EMT-Basic challenge refresher course?

A: You are eligible for an EMT-Basic challenge refresher course. Once certified in New York State as a CFR/EMT/AEMT, you are always eligible for a challenge refresher course at or below the highest level of EMS provider certification you once held. Please note that your certification number that was issued to you when you were first certified as an EMS provider in the State of New York remains your EMS identification/certification number for life.

found on the NYS EMS website

So you dont have to challenge out as a medic, but you can challenge out as a tech instead, then go through medic school again if you want. I took my refresher at OLM aka Montefiore north, now. Still a great program and Mike Moculsk runs the EMS programs there.

You might be able to call the Troy office and give them your social and dob and they should be able to pull your number for you.

Here's the link for you:

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/certification/certification.htm