Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mikeamiss88

How To Take Fire And Police Exams While In The Military

3 posts in this topic

im in the army right now and really soon im deploying to afghanistan just wonder if anyone had info or could help cause i want to take fire exams like fdny but dont know how to while im in the army im from new york but im station in alaska so im far from home

x635 likes this

Your best bet is to talk to someone in recruitment for any agency that is giving a test. Also, talk to your Command Enlisted Advisor( I think you guys call them Command Sergeant Majors) and explain the situation to them. You may be able to swing a few days leave while Stateside to take tests. I was fortunate, and mildly stupid when I was in the Coast Guard that I never left the East Coast. But, it also allowed me the opportunity to take a number of exams while I had liberty/leave. Took the test for Fire Alarm Dispatcher three days after my terminal leave started. Another piece of advice, take every single test anywhere you can. Don't just limit yourself to the greater NYC area.

Best of luck to you, thank you for your service to our country and above all, STAY LOW AND GET HOME SAFE!!!!

Edited by JBE
x635 likes this

When Chicago had its last exam my son was in Iraq, consequentally he was unable to take it. After 2 tours (extended for second tour) he returned to San Diego for the rest of his enlistment. He found out from a CFD Capt that Chicago was going to have a test for military members who could not take the original one. This fact was not widely known, my son flew out from SD Friday night, took the exam on Sat and flew back to SD Sunday. So when you return from your deployment you might want to see if that option will be available. And the other poster was right, apply to as many towns and cities as you can, all you need is get your foot in the door. Stay safe, stay low and thanx for your service. :)

x635 likes this