Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PFDRes47cue

VAC Membership Recruitment Help

16 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I have taken on the task of revamping my VAC's recruitment methods in an attempt to target people who are around during the day and whom want to become EMT's. As all Westchester (and beyond) VAC's know, daytime EMT are hard to come by.

Im in the process of gathering ideas from current members of my VAC so I figured I would extend the invitation to you all.

Fell free to PM me with you would rather do that.

Thanks in advance for any input,

Madison Martineau

2nd Lieutenant PVAC

Edited by PFDRes47cue
PEMO3 likes this

Hey all,

I have taken on the task of revamping my VAC's recruitment methods in an attempt to target people who are around during the day and whom want to become EMT's. As all Westchester (and beyond) VAC's know, daytime EMT are hard to come by.

Im in the process of gathering ideas from current members of my VAC so I figured I would extend the invitation to you all.

Fell free to PM me with you would rather do that.

Thanks in advance for any input,

Madison Martineau

2nd Lieutenant PVAC

Try your local PTA's, ask to speak at one of theremeetings and try a recriitment drrive there

Try your local PTA's, ask to speak at one of theremeetings and try a recriitment drrive there

That is a great idea. Three people have come to me within the past 24 hours with that same idea. I even heard of a situation where attending PTA meetings actually proved beneficial and got a substantial amount of daytime EMT's.

Thanks!

That is a great idea. Three people have come to me within the past 24 hours with that same idea. I even heard of a situation where attending PTA meetings actually proved beneficial and got a substantial amount of daytime EMT's.

Thanks!

They are a good source also try your local High School, it is getting closer to gradution time and some High Schools you have to voluntee a certian amount of hours to graduate. give them a shot also.

I can't really comment on how to get them in the door, but once you have new members in the door, make sure you have the training infrastructure in place to allow them to develop their skills. Few people will gain satisfaction from things they aren't able to do well. If you don't give them the opportunity to improve, they won't gain satisfaction, and they won't stick around. This also includes creating a culture where all members have a stake in training new members-not just the ones who are FTO's, line officers, etc.

They are a good source also try your local High School, it is getting closer to gradution time and some High Schools you have to voluntee a certian amount of hours to graduate. give them a shot also.

Tried that, unless you want some 16-17 year old wacko galavanting around your fire house getting into trouble. I started at 15 so I can honestly say that I have seen the gambit of good and bad high schoolers. The worst ones by far and away were the ones that should up for their mandated hours and only the "good calls". Additionally, training these kids is a huge problem considering the number of hours and the fact that 95% of them will be leaving in the fall for college.

I would run out of fingers if I were try to count the number of kids that have come into my fire house only for their hours and then left not actually adding anything beneficial to the company. Yes there are those who can handle the pressure of this, but not Johnny Down the Street who wants to graduate with his friends but doesn't want to do anything that demeaning. I have found that unless they join young and join for the right reason they will provide a much larger headache then someone three times their age and is not worth your trouble. For those you know me, you would know when me and those in my same "class" of "junior members" started when we were (and still might be) just whippersnappers, it took years of training, indoctrination, education and maturity to reach a point where we contributed to the department in a positive way independent of just showing up, helping out and obey commands.

...and the fact that 95% of them will be leaving in the fall for college.

You hit the nail on the head. Not only will 95% of kids go away for college, but chances are they will not return to their hometown after college.

Hey Madison, forgot to add that you could ask the local high school if pvac could do a recruiting assembly. Over on the "dark side" (HA!) we set up something like that with boces. might as well give it a shot

PFDRes47cue likes this

Hey Madison, forgot to add that you could ask the local high school if pvac could do a recruiting assembly. Over on the "dark side" (HA!) we set up something like that with boces. might as well give it a shot

I know BOCES had a half day EMT-B program you could get into, I did not do it nor did I hear of anyone else doing it but when I saw it about 5 years ago it seemed like a good idea. I agree a recruitment assembly could be a decent idea. I Know FLHS has a first responders club comprised of members of the various town departments that the district feeds into the the high school but I have no idea how it works as it was formed after I graduate. But really some kind of assembly would really only be useful when geared to Freshman/Sophomores. Seniors will be leaving in a few months for school (most of them), the juniors are too busy with school and wanting to be seniors to have time to add another time commitment if they are not already in the department so that really only leaves the freshman and sophomores.

Edited by bvfdjc316

Provide a completly FREE EMT class for anyone in your district. We did this a few years ago with good results. You will get the wash outs, but you will also get a good group that will stay and join. They are volunteering too many times EMS services make it too hard to join and dont refund the cost of the class for a year or what ever. Pay there way for everything books, BP cuffs ect..

aaron

Don't forget in the process that there is more to it, then just filling a void during the day. Ensure that they have the physical capabilities to perform on a scene and that means anyone who is a driver, not just those with emt certifications.

Let me sit down and do the interviews! I've got lots of wisdom to dish out about EMS! ;)

PFDRes47cue likes this

Let me sit down and do the interviews! I've got lots of wisdom to dish out about EMS! ;)

LOL. I have a friend who will do it with you...he will make his glass eye pop out and let it bounce across the table while your speaking.

Drinking out of a fake eye has quite an impact as well.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about! ;)

Yeah I can't remember where I ever saw someone drink out of their eye.

Another point to ponder is statistically 50 to 65% of those you bring in the door will be gone within 2 years.