Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Is 85 MPH Too Fast A Speed Limit?

13 posts in this topic

Keep in mind, Texas is a gigantic state with large stretches of rural highway that are very well maintained and marked, with great visibility. However, I do think this would increase the fatality rate of accidents and I don't think some drivers could handle this speed.

At 85 mph, Texas could have highest speed limits in the nation

Published: 11:14 a.m. Thursday, April 7, 2011

Austin-American Statesman

It's long been said that everything's bigger in Texas. Maybe faster, too, under legislation approved by the Texas House that would allow the speed limit on some highways to be raised to 85 mph, which would be the highest in the nation.

FULL ARTICLE: http://www.statesman.com/news/texas-politics/at-85-mph-texas-could-have-highest-speed-1383090.html

Considering Texas' road conditions, 85 is totally acceptable.

Some drivers are accidents waiting to happen at 55. I've driven many many hours in Germany, cruising at a legal 110-120 - and watching out for Porsches coming up behind at 150-160! And, I might add, been and felt a lot safer than I've felt on pretty much any American road at any speed.

As always, rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

Mike

Alpinerunner likes this

85 MPH, Thats the right lane of I-684 !

That's exactly what I was thinking.

The interstate highway system is built to standards where the average driver can safely navigate at 75 mph with vehicles of the Eisenhower era. That being said, we are not all the average driver.

With the excellent condition of the roadways in Texas combined with the exceptional visibility, I see why changing the speed limit to 85 mph is being discussed but, I do not think that all drivers can handle it. As a nother poster said, some people are accidents waiting to happen at 55 mph. Would you want your 17 year old driving alone on a roadway where the speed limit is 85? Too many poor drivers out there IMHO.

Can you picture Granma or Granpa driving 85 mph, or better yet doing 40 in a 85.

Middle lane on the Mass Pike on fri-sat is 85 unless the weather is bad.

The Fed and various highway safety groups love to tout the decreases in driver fatalities with the federally mandated reduction of speed limits but does little to address changes in vehicle and highway safety that were also occurring. Last year, late summer or early fall, the Journal of Trauma published a paper showing an actual decrease in the mortality rate after NYS increased the speed limit to 65mph. They also found a decrease in the percent of drivers speeding. Germany's and the rest of Europe's highways are safer because of strict enforcement of safe driving practices and a much more difficult licensing procedure.

The roads are safe to be driven at up to 85mph. However the drivers are too often not capable at safely operating on roads with an 85mph speed limit.

The roads are safe to be driven at up to 85mph. However the drivers are too often not capable at safely operating on roads with an 85mph speed limit.

The design specifications may support driving 85 MPH but the actual paving is only safe to about 35 right now. After they repave again THIS year we'll talk. :angry:

How can you say that about the incredible drivers that NYS produces? All that classroom training, practical experience, and comprehensive testing they go through. And don't forget the re-testing and continuing education to make sure they know the current laws.

Keep in mind, Texas is a gigantic state with large stretches of rural highway that are very well maintained and marked, with great visibility. However, I do think this would increase the fatality rate of accidents and I don't think some drivers could handle this speed.

FULL ARTICLE: http://www.statesman.com/news/texas-politics/at-85-mph-texas-could-have-highest-speed-1383090.html

Number 1: people around here are to occupied with stuff in their cars and their little electronics to drive at all at that kind of speed.

Number 2: 85 MPH is population control! J/K ,

Number 3: I would love to have a road around here that is 85 MPH, me being the motor head that I am!

Edited by stephen morea

The design specifications may support driving 85 MPH but the actual paving is only safe to about 35 right now. After they repave again THIS year we'll talk. :angry:

How can you say that about the incredible drivers that NYS produces? All that classroom training, practical experience, and comprehensive testing they go through. And don't forget the re-testing and continuing education to make sure they know the current laws.

Hah. I'm sure I've posted about the 'seven minute rule' before....

Whenever I drive here, I remind myself I'm surrounded by drivers, most of whom have passed a test. A test that lasts seven minutes on average, and has a 98% pass rate.

(Back home in the UK, test lasts 45 minutes and less than 50% of those who take it, pass. And not because they're lousy drivers; because it's a real test!)

Mike