Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FF1

Leather vs. Composite Helmets

7 posts in this topic

I just recently treated myself and ordered a new helmet. My department issues Carins helmets and I have been using a Carins 1044 defender helmet, which has the flip down shield that retracts into the helmet. I have recently discovered the lack to comfort that this helmet provides, after having several extended operation calls and realized that it was time for a change. A fellow firefighter owns a Paul Conway American Classic composite helmet and another owns a Carins Houston leather hemlet. Both are very nice and have their pros and cons. After much deliberation, I decided to buy a Paul Conway. I liked the fact that the composite is lighter and does not chip paint off with use. I also liked the way it felt on my head when I tried both on. The Paul Conway had a much better center of gravity on my head, as well as superior padding inside of it. I do, however, understand the heritage of leather and have heard that leathers form to the shape of your head over time.

I was wondering what helmets eveyone wears and the pros and cons of those hemlets. I was also wondering about the Composite vs. Leather question.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks for your input.

Edited by FF1

FF1,

The older leather helmets, without the ratchet adjustment, which are no longer approved, conformed to the head and were very comfortable.

When I retired that version of the leather, I switched to our current department issue: The Morning Pride Ben II Plus.

It is an affordable and very comfortable helmet.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe!!

Edited by Fireman488

I'm wearing the Morning Pride Ben 2 as well. I find it very comfortable, and very stable when wearing a a mask, and the Bourkes are now NFPA 1971 rated. It also still has the very traditional American style to it. I bought mine personal as well since my dept issues the 1010's, so it is expensive but well worth it.

I was issued a plastic helmet....I'm a buff and bought a N5A. Therefor....I now have a REAL helmet.

Kidding aside, why do I have it? Tradition. That's all, they're classic. It does fit quite a bit better than the Morning Pride that the job issues. Sits tighter and lower on the head and doesn't flop around. It is a bit heavy. Oh well.

FF398 likes this

I own two leathers. A Sam Houston and a New Yorker. Both I've had since the early 90's when I first stated with the vols. One of the first things I did when I first got my Houston was rip the ratchet out and form fitted it with the included foam padding. I've worn all from bedpans, 1010's and the Ben 2. I'd prefer the Ben 2 over the 1010 anyday because it has a great fit of the composites and it has a similar resemblance to their leather counterparts.

I've seen the Paul Conway helmet, and it looks like somebody squished the top of it.

I bought mine because of tradition as well as durability. I've repainted it twice and replaced the foam padding inside. That's it.

M'Ave I don't see as many leathers on the job down there, is it because the job is phasing them out, or the guys aren't buying them anymore?

M'Ave I don't see as many leathers on the job down there, is it because the job is phasing them out, or the guys aren't buying them anymore?

Well, the job stopped issuing them in '95 I think. There aren't too many guys left that were issued one. You'll still find a few guys around that purchased their own, but that's just it, not everyone (in fact, most) wants to drop big money on the leather when the issued P.O.S. will do the job just fine.

Edited by M' Ave

Well, the job stopped issuing them in '95 I think. There aren't too many guys left that were issued one. You'll still find a few guys around that purchased their own, but that's just it, not everyone (in fact, most) wants to drop big money on the leather when the issued P.O.S. will do the job just fine.

Same here. I volunteer in a combo dept and there are 2 career men with leathers and 1 voli with leather. The rest of us have composites. They used to issue 1010's and now are issuing 1044's. Im not a fan of either. I like the Ben 2s and the Paul Conways. I decided on the Paul Conway mostly because of the comfort and secondly because of the low profile of the helmet as opposed to the Ben 2.